6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2018 8:02 AM by Toby Erkson

Using Service Accounts In Tableau

David Matthews

Hello and thanks in advance.

I am working with Tableau and would like to use a Service Account/Functional Account with the datasource when it resides on the server. I don't want the datasource to be using an individuals ID. I am wondering what is the proper accounts that need to be used for the various stages of a dashboard lifecycle. I'm guessing when you develop in Tableau Desktop you use your own ID to connect to the datasource so when do you assign to the service ID. I guess the various stages I am looking for what account to use are:

1. Development in Tableau Desktop - Individual User Account

2. Publishing to Server from Tableau Desktop - Edit connection details to use the Service Account or publish using individual ID?

3. Datasource sitting on server - Edit the connection here to use service account?

I want to develop using an extract and then upload the dashboard and extract so I guess the question applies to an extract in my case.

• 1. Re: Using Service Accounts In Tableau
          Toby Erkson

Service accounts vs. personal accounts (when used for data source credentials) requirements will depend on company policy.  You should have a conversation with your data source database admins.

For us, personal accounts are used for development and QA/UAT, then the service account for production.  The reason being is that personal accounts have more db and/or table visibility into the testing data source while the service account is more defined as to exactly what it can "see" in the production db environment, thus increasing data security.

• 2. Re: Using Service Accounts In Tableau
            David Matthews

Hello Toby

What you said make sense but I am looking for how/when to use the different accounts during the development/publishing process.

• 3. Re: Using Service Accounts In Tableau
              Toby Erkson

Do you mean when logging on to the Tableau Server [as a "user"], either using the personal account or the service account?

• 4. Re: Using Service Accounts In Tableau
                David Matthews

With the end goal being a datasource(either extract or live)  on a tableau server using a serviceID to connect to the db, what accounts should you use when developing and publishing? When should one use their individual id vs the serviceID? When do you assign the service account to the datasource?

• 5. Re: Using Service Accounts In Tableau
                  Toby Erkson

David Matthews wrote:

With the end goal being a datasource(either extract or live) on a tableau server using a serviceID to connect to the db, 1) what accounts should you use when a) developing and b) publishing? 2) When should one use their individual id vs the serviceID? 3) When do you assign the service account to the datasource?

1a.  Use a personal account to connect to the DS (data source) when developing.

1b.  Use a service account to connect to the DS when the report has been published on the production server i.e. ready for consumer use.

2.  As above.

3.  This is not something I can do at my company as we have database admins that are responsible for this action.  I have my hands full admin'ing our Tableau Server and don't have time to learn IBM DB2, Oracle, MS SQL Server, SAP HANA, etc.

So, correct, when ready to publish the workbook from development -- which is currently using personal account credentials -- to production the workbook author (a.k.a. developer) would need to change the DS credentials to use the service account.

• 6. Re: Using Service Accounts In Tableau
                    Toby Erkson

toby.erkson.0 wrote:

David Matthews wrote:

With the end goal being a datasource(either extract or live) on a tableau server using a serviceID to connect to the db, 1) what accounts should you use when a) developing and b) publishing? 2) When should one use their individual id vs the serviceID? 3) When do you assign the service account to the datasource?

2. As above.

2.  In general, use the personal account for broadly looking at data i.e. data exploration & experimentation.  Service accounts are normally for production reports only.

To clarify, in our company personal accounts have to change their password after X number of days whereas a service account password never expires.  In an organization where there is much turn-over (contract employees, interns) the need for service accounts is critical for us.