3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2018 10:20 AM by Jim Dehner

Parameter or Filter

Kelly McGrady

So what I want to do is make a filter that I can input a value and that value will affect my financial table. Like I will input 10 and my volume will shrink by 10 and the total will shrink accordingly I do have the rate and the units of measure as well. thank you

• 1. Re: Parameter or Filter
          Jim Dehner

Hi Kelly

Filters and Parameters in tableau have 2 totally different purposes - the function that you are describing sounds like you want the user to input a value and then you use that value in a calculation to change the value in a different measure - that would be a parameter - they are the means that a user can input a single value into table (they are static - are global apply to the entire workbook and remain constant till change manually by the user 0

You would back up the parameter with a calculation that might look like Sum(volume) - [Parameter value] 

Filters are used to limit the range of a dimension (or measure) that is presented in the view - you could say  just show me all values greater than parameter valuebut it would not change the value

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Parameter or Filter
            Kelly McGrady

Thank you for the response, I will let you know if I was able to make it but from your answer my problem may be solved.

• 3. Re: Parameter or Filter
              Jim Dehner

If it solves your issue please mark my initial response correct to close the thread

Jim