1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 19, 2018 5:37 PM by Wesley Magee

Using multiple date dimension

Kevin Guez

Hello,

Attached is a very simple workbook. This workbook contains a few "Date" datas such as Created At, Converted At, Updated at... These date all correspond to a certain step in the life of one of our customer.

What I want is simple: I want a table/graph where I can see the number of time each step occurred for each day/week/month (the timeframe is whatever). My problem is that I need to chose one of these dimensions. Hence, let's say I put "Created At" as a column Dimension and number of records as a measure in Rows, I'll have the number of Creation for any given day. But how can I manage to get the number of Conversion, Update... for these same days?

In other words, I want to determine the number of Creation, Conversion, Update... for each day (and bulk per weeks or months of course). It sounds easy at first glance, but I can't seem to do this. I've duplicated my datasource as I thought I could use blending to do that. Without success unfortunately.

Can you help me with this difficulty?

• 1. Re: Using multiple date dimension
          Wesley Magee

Kevin,

I've looked at multiple options including combining fields, scaffolding, and back-end unions, but I think your best option will be to pivot your date fields.

In the Data Source window you can Control + Select the date fields and then right click to select "Pivot". This will create one column for your dates and another column to describe those dates. The one major downside is that this will increase the amount of data since every row will now be multiple rows to accommodate for the change in date. For example, if you have three date fields (Created, Converted, Updated), you will now have three rows for each original row (one for each date type). I'm attaching a pivoted workbook (Superstore Sales) as an example.

-Wesley

If this post assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful