4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2018 1:03 PM by Toby Erkson

Tableau Workgroup Database update in 10.5

Crystal D'souza

Hi All,

Recently Tableau released their 10.5 version. We were earlier using the 10.2.1 version and had developed a few custom admin views on the same such as identifying specific user permissions (publisher/interactor) etc.

However, with the recent update in 10.5, there have been changes made to the Workgroup Database by Tableau.

The biggest change impacting my custom admin views was the removal of both "Publisher_tristate" and the "Admin level" fields in the Users Table since I had earlier used these fields along with "licensing_role_id" to identify the permissions correctly for all users on the server.

Can anyone provide an input on how I could re-build these views again?

Also, Tableau has now removed the "Unlicensed (can publish)" and "Viewer (Can publish)" permissions from the server. it would be great to know how the users assigned these permissions earlier in 10.2 would be identified in the workgroup database.

So far, I haven't been able to find any documentation to identify all the changes made to the tables (and how it maps to the older version) or the introduction of new set of values in some of the tables.

Can anyone provide some insights into these?

Thanks & Regards,

Crystal

• 1. Re: Tableau Workgroup Database update in 10.5
          Toby Erkson

Crystal,

Yup, I'm right there with ya   I had some Custom SQL I used to identify Site Admins and now that easy functionality is gone.  Looking back at the prior Workgroup db notes in prior versions it was stated that the field was being deprecated and then depreciated and now gone

Case in point:

-- Text value of admin level for user
              CASE "users"."admin_level"
                         WHEN 5 THEN 'Site'
                         ELSE
                         CASE "system_users"."admin_level"
                              WHEN 10 THEN 'Server'
                              ELSE 'None'  -- Regular user
                         END
               END
          AS "WB Admin Level Type",

licensing_role_id is gone from the users table as well.

(Yeah yeah, we know that using the non-views are subject to change w/o notification (i.e. use at your own risk) but when the views that we're supposed to use are seriously lacking in information our alternatives are equally seriously lacking )

The hist_users table still contains Site Admin info.  No telling how long that will last and, importantly, if it is accurate given that users.admin_level is gone (I haven't tested and don't plan to cuz I'm feeling all sorts of grumpy right now).

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Workgroup Database update in 10.5
            Matt Coles

I had to make an update to my TS Content data source to accommodate the schema changes. You can see if what I did there will work for your purposes. Specifically, it's the "Admin Level" field under the "Owner" folder.

• 3. Re: Tableau Workgroup Database update in 10.5
              Crystal D'souza

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately. It doesn't help with what I want to achieve right now. We wanted to identify each user permission assigned in a site and the number of people with the respective permissions

I did have another use case built up to identify just the Admins and the non-admins. That is working fine.

I've just been playing around with the workgroup database recently. And so far, what I have found is this

There's a table called "Site_Roles". This needs to be joined with other tables as per requirement. In my case I did this with the "users", "site" and the "system_users" tables to get the full list.

If I just use the Name field from Site Roles table, it assigns a system administrator as a publisher. So I've had to use the admin level field from the "system_users" table and entered a condition ---> if admin_level=10 then "system admin" else Name (site roles)

This way, I've now been able to identify each of the site roles which we needed for our Internal purposes.

PS: Thanks for sharing the link to your workbook. Its giving me some new ideas that are worth reporting. Will probably have a lot of questions answered once I dive into it.

Toby Erkson : I hope this helps you as well? The challenge for us was that we moved from 10.2 to 10.5 and the site_roles table was introduced was in 10.3 from what I see in this report Tableau Public 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tableau Workgroup Database update in 10.5
                Toby Erkson

public.users.publisher_tristate was deprecated in 10.3 (below) and is now depreciated from 10.5

Another workbook I gotta fix...