1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 1:56 PM by nikher verma

Does Tableau Custom SQL Query recognize "NOT" operator?

mateusz.zajac

Hi,

I was not able to find an answer in FAQ and Google so out of desperation and curiosity  I decided to ask here.

Do you have an experience with not working "NOT" operator in Custom Query? I am puzzled...

I have quite big amount of data and among it I have some "test" and "cancelled" orders to exclude.

Tableau is connected to Oracle database and when I mirror the query in SQL Developer, everything works fine but Tableau seems to ignore "NOT" in front of "LIKE" or "IN" (at least in this cases, I did not try more).

I know I can filter them out in Tableau itself but I wonder if this is me who does sth wrong in my Custom SQL Query or it is just not working in Tableau.

Regards,

Matt

• 1. Re: Does Tableau Custom SQL Query recognize "NOT" operator?
          nikher verma

Hi Matt,

For the 1st time when I used SQL query  as a custom query in tableau ,I was shocked to notice that a properly working SQL query was giving me tons of error and then after getting my hands dirty I came to knew that tableau custom query are case sensitive .

So don't worry ,play with your data ; instead of using the query try some basic query to figure out whats the problem there .

You can review the output of  your query so use it for debugging your query.

And yes please do share your findings here .

-Nikher