I'm not 100% sure what you are talking about - do you mean by every time that you have to do this each time you open your dashboards in Tableau Desktop ?
If that's the case then something's not working properly...
Not each time I open the dashboard, but when I am formatting them for the first time (selecting how I want them displayed- clicking customize > show apply button, having them each apply to all worksheets on dashboard, having them all be multiple value drop down, things like that. I have to select the same things for each individual filter instead of being able to select all of them at once, have them all be displayed as "multiple value drop downs", and having them all show the "apply" button. Is there a quick way to choose these settings for multiple at once or do you have to click every filter each time and make sure they are all formatted how you want?
1 of 1 people found this helpful
This is an issue I used to find extremely tedious as well! There is a way to set the default filter properties and have those properties apply to all applicable worksheets and dashboards. To do so:
- You want to add your universal filters to only one of your worksheets at the beginning (if you've already added the filters to your worksheets separately, remove them and then follow the remaining steps).
- Once you've dragged your desired dimensions/measures to the filters shelf, right click and select the Show Filter option for each.
- Now, still within the worksheet, apply your default properties by hovering over each filter and selecting the small downward arrow for a list of options (e.g., Multiple Values (Dropdown), Customize > Show Apply Button, etc.).
- Finally, from the filters shelf, right click each filter and select Apply to Worksheets > All Using This Data Source (or whichever option is applicable for your data).
- Now, add your sheets to your dashboard. The filters will display with the properties you've set within the worksheet.
Hope this helps!
Thank you Chelsea! I want to make sure I understand. If I follow the process above, then I add the worksheets to the dashboard, then select a worksheet, use as filter, and select the filters I want to use, when the filters pop up on the dashboard they will already have the settings I have saved?