4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 7:49 AM by Ed Mon

Mark filters as empty / Whitespace in text filters

Ed Mon

Hello everyone,

I am struggling to improve the usability of a dashboard by setting a let's say "indicator" to some text filters. Its purpose is to show the users that the filters haven't been set yet. In order to clarify this I want to give you an example:

You have implemented a text filter and it works fine, but let's say you've used a whitespace in the text space. The drawback at this point is, that you can hardly spot the whitespace. Thus, this can lead to a major confusion amongst users. Look at the picture bellow:

notEmptyFilter.jpg

I have marked the whitespace, so you could easily identify it.

Considering that, I would like to somehow mark or note that the text filters are empty. Is there a way to write basic text in a text filter, without accepting this input text as a filter? Similar to when you have to login somewhere. Take the appended picture as a reference - you see "admin" as a username, but when you click in the field the "admin" disappears and you enter your username.

router-login.jpg

Support and other ideas are gladly welcome!

Cheers,
      Ed

• 1. Re: Mark filters as empty / Whitespace in text filters
          Colby Gogan

Hi Ed,

One method is to create a parameter to create a custom value, in the example below I've created the Default value of "Insert Country".

Step 1.  Create a new parameter with the data type String, and add all of your values from the field you want to filter on (you can select 'add from field).  Add your new custom value below the ones you added from the field, in this case "Insert Country"

parameter step 1.png

Step 2.  Create a calculation similar to the one I have below:

[Country] = [Parameter 1] OR [Parameter 1] = 'Insert Country'

Step 3.  Add the new calculation to the Filter on the sheet you'd like to be able to filter on and select "True"

Step 4.  Add the sheet to the dashboard and filter on the parameter we have created.  You can set the default value to the "Insert Country" - this filter will display all records.  The user now can identify that no country has been selected.

Thanks,

Colby

• 2. Re: Mark filters as empty / Whitespace in text filters
            Sasha Hanna

Hi Ed,

Unfortunately text filters cannot have the text within them without showing data, because they are based on actual data fields. The best way to indicate the use of a filter is to use the title to give an indication of what to do with the filter:

Another option would be to use a parameter and configure the current value to show the text you need.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sasha

• 3. Re: Mark filters as empty / Whitespace in text filters
              Ed Mon

Hi Sasha,

thanks for the reply! Is it possible to automatically show "(type)" again when I delete the text in the filter?

Cheers,
              Ed

• 4. Re: Mark filters as empty / Whitespace in text filters
                Ed Mon

Hello there Colby,

this solution has its Pro and Conta.

Pro: It works
                          Contra: I have a couple of million of fields to filter on
                                                   Those fileds contain product description and I want to filter on that information

For example:
                                                   Pr. 1: Coconut oil, expensive, Origin: Maldives
                                                   Pr. 2. Army tire, 305/50 R18, original
                                                   Pr. 3. Fancy Water, bottle: crystal

Formula: Contains([Product_Description], [Filter1])

Filter1: orig

Result:

Pr. 1: Coconut oil, expensive, Origin: Maldives

Pr. 2. Army tire, 305/50 R18, original

Thank you,
                Ed