2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 6:09 AM by Toby Erkson

List of Actions and what they mean

Toby Erkson

In the http_requests table we can see what "actions" were requested but there isn't a definition of what each action represents.

If anyone has definitive definitions for any of the fields please reply with the number or action name and the definition.

1. bootstrapSession
      2. clear
      3. destroy
      4. destroy_customized_view
      5. exportcrosstab
      6. get_customized_views
      7. getfilteritems
      8. inform
      9. performPostLoadOperations
      10. publish
      11. publish_as
      12. region
      13. save_customized_view
      14. search
      15. searchwithindex
      16. sessions
      17. set_default_customized_view
      18. sheetimage
      19. show
      20. showadminview
      21. tempfile
      22. tile
      23. tilecache
      24. transitionGuest
      25. update_customized_view
      26. viewData
      27. vud

My use case is determining the time it takes to render a sheet on the Tableau Server but I don't know for sure which field(s) I should use to get the whole picture (I know that bootstrapSession is normally used), however, it is the definitions for all that are needed.

• 1. Re: List of Actions and what they mean
          Gerardo Varela

Toby,

Since your use case is actual load times I would start by downloading the admin views and heading on over to "What are the Average load times" view and start taking that apart. You'll quickly find out that your task isn't as easy as it sounds. Here is one of the final calculations:

//agg_request_length

if LOOKUP(MIN([request_code]),0) == 3  AND LOOKUP(MIN([request_code]),-1)!=3 then

// The length is computed from the start of the previous

(MAX([Completed At])-LOOKUP(MIN([Created At]),-1))*86400

ELSEIF LOOKUP(MIN([request_code]),0) == 3  AND LOOKUP(MIN([request_code]),-1)==3 then

// The length is computed from the start of the previous

(MAX([Completed At])-LOOKUP(MAX([Completed At]),-1))*86400 + PREVIOUS_VALUE(0)

ELSEIF LOOKUP(MIN([request_code]),0) != 3  AND LOOKUP(MIN([request_code]),-1)==3 then

// The end of an async operation

(MAX([Completed At])-LOOKUP(MAX([Completed At]),-1))*86400 + PREVIOUS_VALUE(0)

ELSE

86400*(MAX([Completed At])-MIN([Created At]))

end

Alternatively, you can use LogShark's VizqlServerPerformance plugin to do all the heavy lifting.  Below is the output of said plugin:

Logshark v2 - an improved way to see and understand your Tableau logs

Regards,

Gerardo

• 2. Re: List of Actions and what they mean
            Toby Erkson

Gerardo, thanks for that   For my situation I need a report and I don't have the time to do a Logshark weekly as I have others who want to see this info.  Also, getting the average time from Created At to Completed At for bootstrapSession for a view works quite well with the testing I did.  Honestly, I wasn't in the mood to reverse-engineer or meddle with the original Tableau admin report   I lazy

However!...this isn't the intent of this thread and I probably shouldn't have put in my use case because I was afraid this would happen.  From this point forward no more solutions or questions or "related questions" on my use case or others, this thread is for the list in the original post only.  If a reply is not the definition or clarification of a list item I'm deleting it.  I want the content for this to be easy for someone to find and reference and everything else would be unnecessary.  In other words, I'd like to keep the signal-to-noise ratio high.