2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2018 2:52 AM by Mark Stoutjesdijk

Queue length without SQL

Mark Stoutjesdijk

Hi all,

First time here on the forum, from the looks of it a great community with answers to even the trickiest problems! I thought I'd post a challenge that I have regarding queue lengths. Queue length has been discussed before in the forum (e.g. How can you calculate queue length using Tableau? ) but the solution required custom SQL and since I use Desktop personal edition, that's not an option.

In the attached xlsx is a list of anonymised patients who arrive at a radiology department (Arrival), then an Activity is performed at time Start. The patient leaves at End. The actual data is much bigger with multiple rooms, but I don't think that's needed here.

How can I find the queue length in the waiting room and, in a similar way, the number of patients that are being examined at any time? Granularity should be by the minute.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mark

• 1. Re: Queue length without SQL
          Chris McClellan

Interesting post ....

This is what I did, hopefully it's what you're after but please tell me if I've missed something:

- create a new workbook

- connect to the spreadsheet

- create the "As at" parameter

- create the calculated fields

- create a testing sheet to see that everything is working properly

- created the other 2 sheets to show the data

change the parameter to see the data at any minute in time.

Is this what you were after ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Queue length without SQL
            Mark Stoutjesdijk

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.

Well, I'm looking to report on queue length throughout time, in order to find seasonal/weekly/daily patterns. I'm not sure how to define the calculated fields for that, and I'm also not sure if a parameter to find the actual queue length will allow me to plot the queue length against time.

Could you let me know which calculated fields you use?