1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 3:09 AM by Ritesh Bisht

How do Data Engine, FilteStore & Backgrouder work together?

Sourabh Dasgupta

As per my understanding here is what these processes do...

a) Data Engine (DE) - Irrespective of on which node the DE is installed, it will always answer queries by loading TDE/Hyper files in memory and processing them.

b) File Store (FS) - installed where DE is installed. This is responsible to store the TDE/Hyper files and also copy them to other nodes in cluster where FS+DE is installed. When a TDE/Hyper file is created/refreshed (on any node....), it will be handed over to File Store (the first available one in the cluster…) and it will make sure it also copies the files on all other nodes where DE/FS is installed

c) Backgrouder (BG) - on its own will be responsible for refreshing (re-generation) the extract files.

However the below statement from online help is confusing. 

“The Data Engine installed on the File Store node is used to answer queries whereas the Data Engine installed on the backgrounder is used for extract creation and refreshes”

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/perf_extracts_view.htm

Can someone please help me understanding this?

• 1. Re: How do Data Engine, FilteStore & Backgrouder work together?
          Ritesh Bisht

The Tableau Server File Store process controls the storage of extracts. When the file store is installed, an instance of the Data Engine is also installed unless the node already has an instance of the data engine. In highly available (HA) environments, the File Store ensures that extracts are synchronized to other file store nodes so they are available if one file store node stops running.

I think they want to say (synchronisation of extract ) ...but I am not sure