3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2018 9:25 AM by Jeff D

Error Parsing Preferences

Teresa Wright

A few days ago, I upgraded to Tableau 10.4.  Now I am getting this error pop-up each time I open a workbook.

screen shot 1.jpg

I have not changed anything on my preferences, and it worked fine in 10.3.  Can anyone tell me what is causing this issue?

screen shot 2.png

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Error Parsing Preferences
          Jeff D

Hi Teresa,

This line:

<color-palette name="New Colors" type="regular">

looks like it uses "smart quotes" (as if you had edited this in a word processor) rather than regular double quotes.  If you look really closely, you'll see that the double quotes look different.  The solution is to replace them using a text editor such as Notepad rather than copying them from an email or a word processor.  Or you can just copy the line above (in my response).

• 2. Re: Error Parsing Preferences
            Teresa Wright

Hi Jeff.  I tried copy/pasting the line in your post but I am still getting the same error.  Could there be something else wrong?  Also, why wasn't I having this problem with 10.3?  I have not touched my preferences in nearly a year.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Error Parsing Preferences
              Jeff D

Hi Teresa, It's hard to see exactly what's in the file based on the screenshot.  Can you attach the file?  If not, try replacing all the single and double quote characters (using Notepad).  Alternatively, try to narrow down the error by removing a handful of lines at a time until the error goes away, then adding them back, in order to locate the problematic line (or lines).  The error message seems quite specific about the problem, so this should (in theory!) be easy to solve.