2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 12:06 AM by Varun Singh

Link to download workbook

Varun Singh

Hello -

Let me know, if anyone has tried this out.

I create a workbook but want to have it as a background task and never let user have it visible. I create a download link in the workbook , when user click the download link it should download the workbook as crosstab?

Can anyone help on this idea?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Link to download workbook
          Wilson Po

Hi Varun,

You should be able to do this by simply appending the ".csv" to the end of the crosstab worksheet URL:

https://<Server Name>/#/views/<Workbook Name>/<Worksheet Name>.csv

The user trying to download this file must be logged in and have permission to see the worksheet - as this content is still managed by Server, it will still check authorization to see if content should be loaded and whether to present authentication challenge.  That said, this strategy will work great if users already have SSO configured which may help with authentication.  The new URL is really just a different way to expose a worksheet request, so the user is still interacting with Server even if they are not going through the traditional VizPortal UI. 

Alternatively, I would just schedule routine exports of the worksheet via Tabcmd and host the exported csv in a file store that permits download from browser.  This other method involves a bit more scripting to accomplish and might be less secure, but in some cases this seems to be desired goal.  Exporting a CSV of Underlying Data Using Tabcmd Export or Get | Tableau Software

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Link to download workbook
            Varun Singh

This was super helpful. Thanks

While working on this I did come across one more question. What If before download I have a action filter and download should filter once action filter is performed ?