2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 11:22 AM by Mark Wu

Tableau Linux on Storage Area Network (SAN)?

Mark Wu

Did anyone install Tableau Linux server with file store on Storage Area Network (SAN)? 

• 1. Re: Tableau Linux on Storage Area Network (SAN)?
          Carisa Chang

Hi Mark,

Anecdotally, I haven't run into any installs on SAN in either beta or production release. But I can say that we've seen customers install on lower tier SAN disks and experience significant performance issues - up to the point of Tableau Server not being able to start successfully - due to the disk latency that caused. If you do install on SAN, I'd use Tier 0 or Tier 1 only. It's not something that's been fully tested/vetted by Tableau's Development team - but I've seen customers make it work. The caveat being if you start seeing disk permission/latency/perf issues, installing Tableau Server in a non-SAN environment might end up being one of the troubleshooting steps to rule it out as part of the underlying issue.

• 2. Re: Tableau Linux on Storage Area Network (SAN)?
            Mark Wu

I agree with Tier 0 SSD SAN. I think that Tableau Dev Team should benchmark on Tier 0 SSD SAN vs. local SSD driver for Tableau Linux server perf.

For those who are not familiar with Storage Tiers. Here is one simple picture....

solid_state_storage-technology_data_by_tier.jpg