5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2018 10:20 AM by Michael Hesser

Status of same-Gender marriages across the world

Deepak Gupta

https://public.tableau.com/static/images/St/Statusofsame-sexmarriagesacrosstheworld_0/TheHinduDashboard/1.png

Message was edited by: Deepak Gupta

• 1. Re: Status of same-Gender marriages across the world
          David Villegas

Great viz!

A couple of things that I would change to improve this is to change the order and color of the legend. I would reorder the legend so that the statuses are listed as if on a spectrum. For example, I would list them from top to bottom as: Legal, Civil Union, Illegal, Death Penalty for Men, Death Penalty.

Secondly, I would change the colors of the statuses to reflect the the degree or closeness to other statuses. For example, Civil Unions, while not being Legal is closer in degree to Legality than to illegality so I would choose a color that is a lighter shade of green to represent its closeness to being Legal. Similarly I would a lighter shade of red for Death Penalty for Men to show its similarity to but distinction from Death Penalty.

These are minor things though, otherwise fantastic job!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Status of same-Gender marriages across the world
            Michael Hesser

I agree with David Villegas-- good observations!

The one other item I would suggest for consideration is the title. Do you feel it's saying what you want to express?

For me, this viz is just as much about gay rights as it is same-gender marriage: same-gender marriage just happens to be at the far end of the equality spectrum. The death sentences, however, have little to do with marriage, but the act of homosexuality (which you explain clearly).

This is may be a moot point, as most any reader should know you need to be alive and breathing to be wed.

Another suggestion I could make: the world has changed A LOT and quite quickly, actually. It would be fascinating to see this viz animated (using PAGES) over the past 25 years, just to watch how quickly rights have changed across the world (and will hopefully continue to evolve).

Thank you for sharing!  --Michael

----

Hey David-- I was thinking about this over lunch, and I've done a 180. I don't think there's a thing wrong with your title. Were you to call this "The Status of Gay Rights Across the World," I think many people could form a bias and assume they knew what you wanted to present. Your viz might lose part of its intended audience before they even begin exploring it.

I feel your current title is more neutral-- your legend is the REAL kicker, though: that's where people are likely in for a shocking surprise.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Status of same-Gender marriages across the world
              Deepak Gupta

Thanks a lot for the great feedback. My apologies, not intended to hurt anyone sentiments.

I will work on your comments.

• 4. Re: Status of same-Gender marriages across the world
                Deepak Gupta

Thanks a lot, David. I will work on your suggestions. Will try to share updated viz over this weekend.

Cheers

• 5. Re: Status of same-Gender marriages across the world
                  Michael Hesser

Hi Deepak Gupta-- my sentiments weren't hurt at all... my apologies if I came across that way.

I think this is a great viz with a message made more powerful because the user discovers the frightening degree of non-parity on his/her own.