2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 2:56 PM by Abhik Roy

Preferences.tps is damaged warning on MacOSX

Abhik Roy

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share a bit of knowledge. If you are running macOS Sierra (or it may apply in previous iterations of OSX with Gatekeeper) and you have been trying to edit the Preferences.tps file (in my case it was after I saved it once, closed it and tried to open it again), you may be getting the following error:

Preferences.tps is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash.

You can disable Gatekeeper from blocking this and all other applications by running the following command in the Terminal (Please note that you probably will not get the warning again when opening any application or file in the future, so if you like this safeguard please do not do this):

sudo spctl --master-disable

and enter your admin password. This actually enables the Anywhere option in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General that was for some reason taken away from we children in the recent upgrade.

I was going out of my head trying to figure out what the heck was wrong. Hopefully this helps anyone who has come across the same situation.

If this has already been covered, I apologize. While I did a search regarding this issue, I may have overlooked a certain term.

Thank you,

Abhik

Disclaimer: The information contained in this posting is for general information purposes only. I make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the content or the other information, products, services, or related graphics contained within this posting for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. In no event will I be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of the information provided.