1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2018 10:30 AM by Jim Dehner

FIXED and order of calculation

Alexander James Bogart

Hello,

A quick question regarding fixed levels of calculation.

{ FIXED datediff('day',[End Date Time],TODAY()) < 120, [Work Type], [Complete Time] > 0, [Out Business Area (group)], [Workstep]: AVG([Start / End Difference])}

My intention is to pull the last 120 days worth of data, irrespective of whatever date filter I have included in the view. I've noticed, however, that when I restrict the date filter to ~1 month, the value of the calculation changes.

I'm trying to understand what I'm missing from an order of operations perspective.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: FIXED and order of calculation
          Jim Dehner

Hi see the visual below - in the order of operation you will see where the

using superstore data I set a context filter to the last 3 months on order date (note the data file is through 2017)

so it will show the 3 months even though I I selected 6 months on the month filter

but if i only select 2 months within the time frame then only the 2 months show

Now I created a simple LOD

and now the lod will return the same 3 month total regardless of the month filter

then adding an Include LOD will bring the months back into the calcualtion

then adding a table calcualtion

will be limited to the context filter

see the order of operation - the context filter will limit the operations below it

but within the context limits (3 months) the other filters and calculations will still limit the results

One thing that comes up over and over is the desire to "fix" the rank running totals using an LOD - the lod's precede the table calculations so LOD's can not include table calculations but table calculations can be applied to lod's

Does that help

JIm

1 of 1 people found this helpful