2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2018 10:57 AM by Mackenzie Cesar

Google Analytics

Mackenzie Cesar

Anyone here have alot of experience connecting tableau with google analytics(GA)? I have a question about improving the performance speed of a dashboard connected to GA on my tableau server. Right now the dashboard is connect 3 time to the GA source because I want to display data from the different custom segments I've created in GA. Is there a better way to do this? Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Google Analytics
          Patrick Van Der Hyde

Hello Mackenzie,

Since you are using GA as a data source, the data has to be in a local extract.  Have you upgraded to version 10.5?  I ask because if you upgrade the extracts to Hyper, you should find a significant speed improvement.  I run several dashboards here at Tableau that utilize data from GA to report on activity here in the community.  A few other suggestions - select your aggregation only to the level you need.  Limit the number of Dimensions, the date period, and the measures to those that you use and then utilize daily incremental extracts to build that extract over time rather than pulling all of the data as a full extract each day.

I hope that helps get you going but let us know if you encounter any specific issues.

Here are a few resources to help:

Google Analytics

Best Practices For Designing Efficient Tableau Workbooks

Patrick

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Google Analytics
            Mackenzie Cesar

My issue was data blending, I dropped to blending only on 3 fields and the difference in speed is night and day.

1 of 1 people found this helpful