3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2018 11:55 AM by patrick.byrne.0

10.5 Broke my calculations...

Leon Yeng

So i thought i was crazy, after i updated my Tableau Desktop, my coordinate to coordinate angle calculation was messed up.

Since i haven't change the calculation in a few months, i thought something was wrong with my connected files.

Spent hours and found no different in structure and no anomalies for the connected files.

Turns out, it was the version. I reverted back to  my old 10.3 version (had an old backup but the calculations are literally the same) and the calculation spits out the correct answer.

Upgraded back to 10.5 and tried it again, spits the wrong answer out.

What is more ghastly is that when using my old 10.3 version back up during 10.5, the calculation spits out the correct answer.

BUT if you duplicate the formula without changing anything, it gave the wrong answer. That is weird.

The formula involves ATAN2, RAD, SIN and COS. Trigonometric stuff... i copied it from another website which can be linked here : Calculate distance and bearing between two Latitude/Longitude points using haversine formula in JavaScript

And change it to Tableau version as below:

• 1. Re: 10.5 Broke my calculations...
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Leon,

That is a very interesting scenario that is occurring and is definitely not expected to occur with the Tableau Desktop product. As the 10.5 version was just released, I would encourage reaching directly out to Technical Support for investigation of the unexpected behavior.

A new case can be created: Support Case | Tableau Software

To help Technical Support provide the best service please include the following.

+ Detailed instructions of the steps attempted.

+ A copy of the .twbx for Tableau Support to attempt a reproduction.

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

• 2. Re: 10.5 Broke my calculations...
            Leon Yeng

Thanks for the reply. I did send Tableau a ticket and they replied asking for a packaged workbook. Since those are confidential info, i can't really give it to them, maybe i'll have to swap it to dummy data....

• 3. Re: 10.5 Broke my calculations...
              patrick.byrne.0

Hello Leon,

Tableau Technical Support does operate under a non-disclosure agreement. Any of the data shared with a Technician over a support case is only going to be viewed by the technician or other technicians for troubleshooting purposes. I understand that sometimes, even with the NDA, many cannot share workbooks. I would reach out to the support technician to discuss potentially other options for pursuing the case investigation.

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick