4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2018 4:12 AM by Ciara Brennan

Translating Dashboards for multinational customers

Andrej Schmelzer

Hello,

my company currently has a fairly diverse set of customers, who would unsurprisingly prefer to have dashboards in their respective languages.

The precise requirement is that all text elements etc. can be switched from their f.e. German to their f.e. English equivalents by manipulating one filter.

We have managed to achieve this, for all but 2 things:

We have not found any way to manipulate dashboard titles, with titles I mean how the tabs are called. I dont think this can be done and it honestly isnt such a big deal.

The bigger issue is that we have not found any way of manipulating parameter values. So, If I have a happy measure switching parameter which has "Running Sum" "Sales per event" "Difference to previous event" and "Running Sum of differences to previous events", I would like to have some way of turning this into "Laufende Summe" "Verkäufe pro Veranstaltung", "Unterschied zur Vorveranstaltung" und "Laufende Summe der Unterschiede im Bezug auf die Vorveranstaltung" (yes, German is a verbose language).

Unfortunately, it seems Tableu stubbornly insists on allways showing all possible values of a parameter, and I didnt have much luck in using different parameters for different languages, since these approaches apparently require unanchored dashboard elements which we cant really accomodate because our customers like using hardware with totally different resolutions, which would make using unanchored objects to cleverly hide the wrong parameters iffy.

In theory, I could sidestep this by some serious action filter abuse, and basically turn the parameters into values, filter these values by language and then use these values as action filters. Unfortutunately, design requirement is that the parameters are selectable in a drop down, so that little trick is sadly out.

Any ideas, which I know is difficult because the 2 easiest ways of doing this, using multiple parameters and hiding one of them dynamically using unanchored blank objects, as well as using a an action filter instead are basically out for customer reasons?

Cheers,

Andrej