3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2019 11:41 AM by David Garza

Sql Server 2000 Connection Issues

Jay Wehler

I have an old SQL Server 2000 database that I am trying to connect to.  I keep getting the following error:

[Simba][SqlServerODBC] (15) Failed to connect to the SQL Server instance: [HY000]: Cannot connect to SQL Server instance. This driver supports SQL Server 2005 and newer only.

I downloaded and installed the SimbaSql drivers from the Tableau sight but still won't connect.  Am I just out of luck trying to connect to SQL Server 2000 with Tableau?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

• 1. Re: Sql Server 2000 Connection Issues
          AB Commendatore

Hi Jay,

Probably not the answer you want, but per the technical specifications, Tableau only supports SQL Server 2005 and later. Is there a way you can upgrade that older SQL Server database to SQL Server 2005? Alternatively, you might be able to connect with generic ODBC, just keep in mind you might lose some Tableau functionality because of that generic connector. Usually, if you extract, you can work around most if not all of those limitations. Check out the doc on Tableau and ODBC for more info, tips, & tricks.

Hope this helps!
          AB

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sql Server 2000 Connection Issues
            Jay Wehler

Thanks AB.  I was afraid that was the answer. I appreciate the reply!

Jay

• 3. Re: Sql Server 2000 Connection Issues
              David Garza

My Tableau 8.1 is able to read older SQL databases (2000), so why are newer versions of Tableau (10.4 and forward) not able to do so? It would seem that a newer version of Tableau should keep existing capabilities and expand to new ones, but this is not the case. This change affects our work process. I know our business should work to upgarde SQL server too, but doing an upgrade on Tableau has limited our ability to continue with the normal work flow. Now connecting through ODBC, I don't agree if's the best.