3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2018 2:07 PM by Rajat Rao

User filter with an extract

Lawrence Roakes

We use Active Directory and I'm using AD groups to present the proper data to specific users based on their AD log in.  This works fine in individual workbooks.  I want to employ this on an extract data connection so I don't have to re-create the user filter on every workbook.  I created and published the extract with the user filter.  However, the user filter does not appear when I connect a workbook to the extract.  Is there a way to get a user filter published in an extract to work?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: User filter with an extract
          patrick.byrne.0

Hi Lawrence,

The ability to add user filters to published extracts can be a complicated process as outlined below in this section of the Tableau Product Help Guide. The two links "Defusing Row Level Security...Part 1 & 2" give an excellent breakdowns of how to achieve the desired results with an extract.

Extracts vs. live connections with user filters

The related topic describes how to publish a live connection with user filters. Publishing extracts with user filters has its own complications around row duplication and performance. These are not addressed here.

However, we can direct you a comprehensive discussion about row level security with extracts, on a blog maintained by a Tableau Sales Consultant who has extensive experience with this area. See the following two posts:

Part 2 contains what our Sales Consultant refers to as the “scalable” approach. This is described in the Advanced Solutions section of Part 2.

Disclaimer: Clicking these links will take you away from Tableau.com. Although we make every effort to ensure links to external websites are accurate and relevant, Tableau cannot take responsibility or provide support for the external content.

For further help with publishing extracts with user filters, we recommend that you work with the Tableau Professional Services team.

Source: Restrict Data Access with User Filters and Row Level Security 

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

• 2. Re: User filter with an extract
            Lawrence Roakes

Thanks for the links!  The challenge I have is this.  I've created a user filter in the extract.  However, the user filter (set) is not present when I connect a workbook to the extract data source.  If I open the extract itself, the user filter is present.  Why is it not available in the connected worksheet?

• 3. Re: User filter with an extract
              Rajat Rao

Hi Lawrence Roakes, were you able to find a solution for this? I have a similar situation wherein I have a couple of workbooks connected to the same data source and I want to ensure the user level filtering happens at the datasource level. any suggestions?

- Raj