1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 10, 2018 12:45 PM by Chris McClellan

Tableau Desktop IP not connecting to remote MySQL

Devin Smith

Hi All,

I am trying to connect to my remote MySQL database with Tableau Desktop however I am getting kicked when attempting to establish the connection,

I have added my PC's IP address to the remote MySQL access however still getting the error,

Do you know Tableau Desktop perhaps uses a different connection to gain access other than using my PC's internal network?

Currently I am having to establish a remote connection through a third party site, replicating the data to Google BigQuery then connect Tableau to BigQuery to pull the data - just not viable.

Thanks in advance.

Devin Smith

• 1. Re: Tableau Desktop IP not connecting to remote MySQL
          Chris McClellan

Are you at work or at home when you're doing this ?

If you've configured mySQL with the proper IP address it should work, but there's a few reasons why your IP isn't the IP that the server will see.

Do you have a way of checking what your IP is by the time it gets to the mySQL server ?

An easy way might just be to google "what is my IP" and checking it that way.

Sorry for all the questions, but I think it's a network/environment configuration rather than Tableau doing something wrong.