I am in desperate need of your assistance Tableau community! Attached you will find a workbook with a single dual axis filled map with overlapping circles. In short the chart is showing us diabetes burden data (filled map) with potential prevention programs overlaying the map (circles).
In order to construct the data source feeding this chart, I had to extract the Tableau-generated lat/long coordinates and merge them with my geocoded organization location coordinates. In other words, the data source was manually joined (full join), leaving a ton of null values.
I am required to apply various filters to the chart:
- Filter the filled map portion by Year, Indicator, Percent, Population
- Filter the circles portion by Cohort
Two (similar) issues:
- Since the data source is a full join (aka a hack), the 'Null' option for each filter must always be selected or else the circles disappear. This is because there are null values in the data set for the records represented by circles in the columns Year, Indicator, Percent, and Population.
- I can't get the Percent filter (a slider) to work at all! Since the circles have no Percent value in the data set, applying the Percent filter immediately removes the circles. When I edit the Percent filter and check "Include All Nulls", the circles appear. However, I need the circles in counties that are filtered out to disappear as well (e.g., If the Percent slider is moved and the filled Los Angeles is removed, I would need the circles in Los Angeles to be removed as well).
Any insights greatly appreciated. Solutions I've tried below.
Sidenote: After I get this squared away, the clients next ask: when a specific county is selected, a dynamic table will update to show more detail about all the organizations (circles) in the selected county. This should be fun ...
Solutions I've tried unsuccessfully (calc field examples using Year filter just for explanation):
- Without deleting records , Hiding Nulls in filter
- IF [Year Parameter] = 'All' THEN 'Show' ELSEIF [Year] = [Year Parameter] OR [Year] = 'NULL' THEN 'Show' ELSE 'Hide' END
- Force Blanks to Show.
- How to retain 'null data' columns when a filter is applied?
- Analysis->Table Layout->Show Empty Columns
- Always Include Null Value While Removing "Null" From Filter
- Creating a parameter and calculated field
- Year example -- IF [Parameters].[Year]=[Year] OR ISNULL([Year]) THEN 0 END
FilterProblem_v1049372.twbx 4.8 MB