3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2017 2:09 PM by Jim Dehner

Finding Average Age of Business

Juan Vasquez

Tableau community -

Hitting a wall trying to set Average Age of Business Location for a cohort of businesses based on their Location Start Date. Workbook attached.

For context:

- Pulling in this data from Los Angeles' Open Data Portal through OData

- Dataset being used is a filtered view of a dataset showing all the active businesses in the city and is updated once a month

- Filtered view looks only at businesses in Council District 12

In trying to figure out the average age of business I've created these calculations:

Defining today: IF[Location Start Date]=TODAY()THEN [Location Start Date]END

Trying to get the amount of years between launch date and today: DATEDIFF('year',[TODAY],[Location Start Date])

Any and all direction is welcome!

• 1. Re: Finding Average Age of Business
          Jim Dehner

see attached

Lot of detail in your viz

but I made a couple of changes

first to the individual business age where the today() is a function that pulls in the date

second

bring the Avg to the sheet aggregating with AVG

the viz returns

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Finding Average Age of Business
            Juan Vasquez

Jim Dehner,

Thank you so much! Exactly what we needed. I appreciate your note on the amount of detail. I removed different colors to the bar chart and will look for additional ways to create more focus around key issues.

Also going to add a slider to use as a filter for average age of business.

This dashboard is the 1st proof of concept for an initiative my team is leading where we will be providing BI dashboards to LA's 15 Council Districts to help local elected officials make better informed decisions and have more information at their fingertips.

Thanks a lot for your help and sharing your skills!

• 3. Re: Finding Average Age of Business
              Jim Dehner

Thanks - glad to help out

Jim