2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2017 7:35 AM by Jim Dehner

Month over Month as a percentage difference in a column

Mel Buckner

So, shifting my reporting duties to Tableau from an excel spreadsheet, for a plethora of reasons, which is going swimmingly, except, I need to be able to show percent difference on a line by line data point basis, as a column.  Here's a snapshot of of the excel sheet:

and by following this tutorial

Month Over Month Difference As a Percentage | Tableau Software

and got it to do this:

which is *closer* in that 198 is 25% more than 158, however,

I need to have this percent difference for each of these data points, looking as closely as possible to the top example.

Any thoughts on how to do would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Month over Month as a percentage difference in a column
          Tushar  More

Hi Mel,

Without looking at your workbook, you can use look up table calculation.

Breaking BI: Using the LOOKUP() function in Tableau

Let me know if this helps.

~ Tushar

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Month over Month as a percentage difference in a column
            Jim Dehner

Hi Mel

see the attached

Couple of issues - you have created a number of separate measures that you now want to use in your % change calculation - but because they are unique they get treated individually

there are a couple of ways around this - the first and easiest is to pivot the data but I think you are pulling the data from a DB and you may not be able to pivot the data

second you may be able to pivot the data using a custom SQL procedure

but there may be an alternative with the data as it is - I looked as some of the calculations and it looked like you may be able to use filters to get the same results

I added a formula - just to count D the patient CIDs

this returns this (for your sheet 4)

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful