2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2018 1:46 PM by scott.steesy

Tableau SDK Extract API

Wu Yaping

Hi All,

Here is error I am getting while using Tableau SDK Extract API to create tde files with multi-thread. Can anyone please help me on this ?

tableau sdk.png

Tableau SDK version:10.0.0

Thanks,

Yaping

• 1. Re: Tableau SDK Extract API
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Wu

Are you able to create .tde  files using the sample code - http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/api/sdk/en-us/help.htm#SDK/tableau_sdk_samples.htm  or are you unable to get just this instance working?

Patrick

• 2. Re: Tableau SDK Extract API
            scott.steesy

You don't specify what the multiple threads are doing.

It is a bad idea to have multiple threads trying to write to the same TDE because I doubt the SDK is thread safe since it doesn't specifically say it is.

I have successfully used multiple threads, from C, where each thread creates a separate TDE.

If you don't call the optional methods to initialize the SDK yourself the creation of the extract does so, then when one thread exits it does a cleanup and causes another thread still using the SDK to blow up.

So as each thread wants to begin, you need to have a lock to increment a counter, and if the value is 1 then use the "optional" method to initialize the SDK..

Then create your TDE.

Afterward, use the same lock to decrement the counter, and if the value is 0 then use the optional method to cleanup the SDK..