5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2017 1:55 PM by Jim Dehner

Custom row shading (Uneven rows)

Jordan Laughlin

I am looking to shade rows in a large table to create subsections, but Tableau only allows shading every other row (or every other 2, 3, etc. rows). I found a workaround using floating text boxes with semi-transparent shading, but the alignment on different computer resolutions is all over the place.

Is there a better way to only shade specific rows, or divide up my table in a better way?

Please see screenshot of current layout for reference, and thank you in advance for any helpful tips.

• 1. Re: Custom row shading (Uneven rows)
          arvindgarg

In my test file, i changed band size and level and i got below

Have you tried it already?

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Custom row shading (Uneven rows)
            Jim Dehner

Hi Jordan

Not certain this meets your need but you can control the level at which the banding ins applied

see below - the band size is set at 2 - "every other"

but the level is set at 1 - Based on the First column

In you screen shot it looked like you had an initial column that you could use to create broader bands

then if you don't want to show the first column you can always hide it

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Custom row shading (Uneven rows)
              Jordan Laughlin

Apologies, I may not have been very clear in my original question. I tried changing the Band Size, but this highlights every other row. In my original attachment, you can see that I'm looking to highlight the first 5 rows, then 4 rows.

• 4. Re: Custom row shading (Uneven rows)
                Jordan Laughlin

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give this a shot and mark as correct answer if it works. It may be an issue that Measure Names is the only pill on Rows, and these measures are spread across 7 blended data sources.

• 5. Re: Custom row shading (Uneven rows)
                  Jim Dehner

Ok - actually you can't tell on the screen print - it is light

but here is something you can do

Create and index() and make it discrete and place it before you first actual column

Then create a calculation to create your color band - grouping rows by  number

Then do the row banding based on the first level and every other banding

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

3 of 3 people found this helpful