3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2017 3:50 AM by Kerry Evert

Data Labels on specific points

Kerry Evert

Hi knowledgable people.

I am trying to create a simple graph which shows 4 weeks plus 1 day of data. Then I want to add labels to the same day of the week.

I.e. if the latest data we have available is yesterday, then I want the labels to show only on each Friday - so 5 labels.

In excel its quite easy, but I can't seem to be able to do it in Tableau. This is that I am trying to achieve:

As you can see the graph in excel is showing the label on the same day of the week, for each of the 5 data points.

Does anyone know how to do this. I've tried all of the standard options, like min/max etc and it doesn't quite o the trick.

Second to that. I've formatted my data as a percentage, but when I add labels, it shows as 0.039 (for example) and I can't seem to be able to format it into % - any ideas?

• 1. Re: Data Labels on specific points
          Jim Dehner

Good Morning

see the attached

The % of sales formula is

The Friday formula is

You then create a dual axis chart

1 place the % of sales on rows

2 place the Friday sales on row

3 right click the Friday sales pill and select dual axis

set the default property on the % of sales and Friday Sales to Percent

Then set the Friday Sales to Show Marks

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Data Labels on specific points
            Kerry Evert

Thanks for your response. I am trying to work through it now, but I need it to be more generic than having to change it each day. So this report gets updated each day with the previous 29 days, so I need the data markers to show each day for the correct days without me having to put them in.

Does that make sense?

• 3. Re: Data Labels on specific points
              Kerry Evert

I have a datemax,

i tried to do the calculation of:

if DATEname('weekday',[Period])

= DATEname('weekday',[DateMax]) then

which works if the metric I am using is just a sum, but for the metrics which are a calculation its saying that I can't mix aggregate and non aggregates in a calculation.

Are you able to help?