3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2017 1:23 PM by Jim Dehner

Marks missing on a map

Rob Kadel

I'm having a heckuva time getting a map of U.S. locations to show what I want it to show. The attached file has several thousand rows representing individuals in a program with their home zip codes attached. To that data set, I merged in a table of MSAs where each zip code shows the MSA it's within (if it falls within an MSA). I need to create a map of the U.S. that shows the MSA Name field with the size of the marks representing the number of records for that MSA. I have done this (I think correctly) on Sheet 2. However, when you look at Sheet 3, you'll see that the most prevalent MSAs (Atlanta, Washington-Baltimore, etc.) are not appearing on the map on Sheet 2. I've tried changing the size of the data points, I've double-checked that "Allow labels to overlap other marks" is selected, but nothing is working. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong that these points won't show on my map? Thanks!

-Rob

• 1. Re: Marks missing on a map
          Jim Dehner

Hi Rob

I took a look at your data

If you look at your map - there are 112 unknown values on the plot - if you open up the box and scroll down the list you will see the

1 Atlanta GA MSA and you can see that it is unrecognized

2 If you click on it and start typing in atlanta - you can select form a list and you see the name in your GEO source is actually different

Just add it to the list and click OK and you get

now you have 112 - if there is a better field to do the match that may save some time (MSA and zip code match is not an exact thing) But at least you know what the problem is

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Marks missing on a map
            Rob Kadel

Bingo! That's what I was missing. Thanks so much, Jim!

• 3. Re: Marks missing on a map
              Jim Dehner

Glad to help out

Hope there is an easy way to match up the 112 unrecognized values

JIm