4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2017 12:14 PM by Satish C

'Enumerated sets' - what are these?

Satish C

Hi,

Background: A workbook was shared to me by a different team. Looking into it, I found this set in the datasource. Playing around, I understood how this was created.

My questions:

1. What is an enumerated set? Strangely, my online searches did not yield any results.

2. What exactly are these used for?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: 'Enumerated sets' - what are these?
          Satish C

Jonathan Drummey

Joe Oppelt

Jonathan and Joe,

Would either of you know what these are?

Thanks.

• 2. Re: 'Enumerated sets' - what are these?
            Joe Oppelt

Never heard of it.

Does it work like any other set?

• 3. Re: 'Enumerated sets' - what are these?
              Jonathan Drummey

As of 8.2 (I think) there are two kinds of Sets in Tableau:

- Computed Sets that are created by selecting a dimension in the Dimensions window->right+click->Create->Set.. These can use Top & Conditional filters as well as select specific values, and edit the set at a later time.

- Constant Sets that used to be called Manual Sets and in the Describe window have a third name of Enumerated Sets. These are manually created in a view by selecting a group of marks and then either creating a set from the tooltip or from the right-click context menu. These Constant Sets are based on the dimension(s) used to make the marks and all we can do is remove dimensions or specific values from the set.

Back before Tableau v8.2 Combined Fields were called a Combined Set and appeared in the Sets window, and also way back when (not sure when it ended) the results of filter actions (which are effectively a kind of combined field) would also show up in the Sets window.

Jonathan

• 4. Re: 'Enumerated sets' - what are these?
                Satish C

Thanks Joe for looking into this.

Thanks Jonathan for sharing your knowledge. From your comment - 'These Constant Sets are based on the dimension(s) used to make the marks and all we can do is remove dimensions or specific values from the set.', this is what I am doing, manually select values and then use it in the filter to show in/out.