3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2018 1:33 PM by Richard McDaniel

Tabjolt Error on Call Tiles / Interact With Viz steps

Richard McDaniel

I'm having an issue using Tabjolt over our own views.  It always seems to error out on the Call Tiles and Interact With Viz steps when running an Interact Viz Load Test.  The error I get is "Site: ; Workbook: <Workbook Name>; View: <View Name>; IsPublic: false;  Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException"  This results in a -1 response code in the Call Tiles step.  The Interact With Viz step then errors out with "Timer did not end properly. SubResult EndTime is 0." and a result code of 600.

In between all the noise of the Log file this seems like it's the relevant text:

DEBUG [2017-12-12 14:49:24,053][InteractVizThreadGroup 1-1] com.tableausoftware.test.server.tabObjects.SessionInfo (SessionInfo.java:162)   - WB: <Workbook> Actual render mode: client
      DEBUG [2017-12-12 14:49:24,054][InteractVizThreadGroup 1-1] com.tableausoftware.test.server.tabObjects.Viz (Viz.java:1226)   - Making request to URL: <get_customized_views URL>
      DEBUG [2017-12-12 14:49:24,055][InteractVizThreadGroup 1-1] com.tableausoftware.test.server.utils.TabHttpRequest (TabHttpRequest.java:816)   - GET <get_customized_views URL>
      DEBUG [2017-12-12 14:49:24,056][InteractVizThreadGroup 1-1] com.tableausoftware.test.server.utils.TabHttpRequest (TabHttpRequest.java:1233)   - GET <get_customized_views URL>
      DEBUG [2017-12-12 14:49:24,076][InteractVizThreadGroup 1-1] com.tableausoftware.test.server.utils.TabHttpRequest (TabHttpRequest.java:1243)   - HTTP/1.1 200
      DEBUG [2017-12-12 14:49:24,077][InteractVizThreadGroup 1-1] com.tableausoftware.test.server.utils.TabHttpRequest (TabHttpRequest.java:937)   - {"msg":null,"status":200,"defaultCustomizedViewId":null,"customizedViews":[]}

ERROR [2017-12-12 14:49:24,134][InteractVizThreadGroup 1-1] com.tableausoftware.test.server.perfTestSuite.ViewVizTest (InteractVizTest.java:103)   - Site: ; Workbook: <Workbook>; View: <View>; IsPublic: false;  Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at com.tableausoftware.test.server.presModel.utils.FilterInteraction.isAvailable(FilterInteraction.java:146)
      at com.tableausoftware.test.server.presModel.utils.VisualPresModelHelper.getValidInteractions(VisualPresModelHelper.java:271)
      at com.tableausoftware.test.server.tabObjects.Viz.randomInteract(Viz.java:447)
      at com.tableausoftware.test.server.perfTestSuite.InteractVizTest.runTest(InteractVizTest.java:89)
      at org.apache.jmeter.protocol.java.sampler.JavaSampler.sample(JavaSampler.java:191)
      at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.process_sampler(JMeterThread.java:429)
      at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.run(JMeterThread.java:257)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

The reports are written in Tableau 9.3 and we are testing with the latest tabjolt code.

Can anyone help me figure out why this might be happening?  Is tabjolt incompatible with certain report tiles or server versions that might cause this?

• 1. Re: Tabjolt Error on Call Tiles / Interact With Viz steps
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Richard,

Researching the unexpected behavior with Tabjolt I was able to find another community member who experienced a similar issue and was able to overcome the issue when using a different data source within the workbook. As the data source in the workbook that was being tested was having issues opening multiple connections. (in their case it was and Excel data source) They were able to resolve the unexpected error by extracting the data source.

+Interpreting Tabjolt results

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

• 2. Re: Tabjolt Error on Call Tiles / Interact With Viz steps
            Richard McDaniel

I've forwarded your suggestion to the team that handles the data sources and extracts on the views.  I'll update when they've made the change.

UPDATE  (12/21/2017): Unfortunately it looks like the data team was not able to implement this in time so we won't be able to test this theory until after the winter break.  Our next business day is Jan 8th so this thread is going to be a little dead until then.  In the meantime we did notice that some of the views that were working had their data sources published to the server rather than embedded in the report.  I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but we're going to test that as well after the break.

• 3. Re: Tabjolt Error on Call Tiles / Interact With Viz steps
              Richard McDaniel

Ok I've talked to the team and it turns out that all of the views we're looking at that give these errors are running over extracted sources, but those sources are not published to the server they are specific to the view.  We're going to test this some time this week and see if that fixes these errors, but any other suggestions that we might be able to test in the mean time would be helpful.