4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2017 9:59 AM by Hari Ankem

IFNULL vs IF ... <> (or) != null ... THEN ... ELSE

Thomas Rones

Note: I don't have a problem to solve, this is more of a "why is it like that?" type of question

I was writing a calculation earlier to combine some date fields from my unioned CSVs.

So I wrote:

IF [posting date] <> null then [posting date] else [buchungstag] end

..but I didn't get the results I expected. Result: The rows for posting date were null and the rows for Buchungstag were correct.

After fiddling around with versions  and live vs extract, I finally tried IFNULL(), which gave me the results I was expecting. Ok weird, the logic is the exact same, it is just written differently.

So I tried it with STRING, FLOAT, and DATE... the same thing everytime. IFNULL() works, but IF [Dim] <> null then [Dim] else [otherDim] end doesnt.

OK how about != ...nope it has the same problem as <>.

As a another note

If NOT ISNULL([Dim]) then [Dim] else [otherDim] works as expected

So why is this?

I didn't find anything about this in the documentation --Formatting Calculations in Tableau but my best guess is that the operators for does not equal ( <> , !=) NULL is somehow in-equivalent to NOT NULL... which makes sense, but I am looking for the technical answer. Encoding, etc.

(I haven't looked in for differences in the XML yet, but I thought someone might already know.)

See attached Workbook for examples