1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2017 9:57 AM by Tyler Garrett

Why is there no tableau site description?

Uyen Ha

When you create a tableau project you have option to but in the description of the project, and members can view the project detail, but why not the same for tableau site?  Majority of the name used for tableau site  are acronym (i.e. EAD), and sometime there are department that have multiple tableau sites (i.e. EAD and EAD Operations), but you don't know what the difference is.  Not effective if tableau sites function is being duplicated under different name.

• 1. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?
          Neil Lord

Maybe you could raise this as an idea?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?

That would be an excellent idea

Here is the quick link; We look forward to it!

Ideas

----------

Lénaïc RIÉDINGER, Global Community Engineer Tableau

Tableau Community Forums | Knowledge Base

If you see a Helpful or Correct response, please mark it thanks to the buttons below the targeted post!

• 3. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?
              Uyen Ha

Could you help me get that idea submitted…I use the Ideas link and I still can not see where to create/submit an idea.  I must overlooking something on the sit.

Thank you,

Uyen

• 4. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?
                Tyler Garrett

I always like recommending using projects VS sites.
                (I've done around 40-50 server implementations + upgrades)

If you're using sites, you are effectively building an entirely new Tableau Server instance.

Administration takes on an entirely new meaning when you start spacing things into sites.

Where you can do a similar thing with projects, and keep your work based in a 'sort alpha' workflow..

A very norm would be PROD/DEV/SANDBOX.

Prod- report consumers only, view access, limited amount of people can edit or publish

Dev- where your dashboard generators live and test.

Sandbox- everyone needs a cool place to share tips and tricks, cool designs, starting templates, and variations of complex calculations.

HR_PROD
                HR_DEV
                HR_SANDBOX
                SALES_PROD
                SALES_DEV

SALES_SANDBOX
                ETC_ETC

Sites generate an entirely different workflow from my perspective and best suited for enterprise installs that allow for multiple admins - who administrate their site on their own - and one or two super admins to help keep it clean, script based administration from repo, etc.

If it's one admin, I would never suggest sites, and would do my best to talk anyone out of it. And I carry a term around and would even write it on the board when I trained how sites are architected in Tableau Server... "sites are usually never the answer" and only the answer for massive installations like 5k to 10k users, and I've done a few like that and some.

have fun!

Best,

Tyler

Dev3lop

• 5. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?

Sure thing, I can help you in private if you need it.

First, click on the link I gave you, then tell me where you're having issues via PM

• 6. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?

I generally like prescribing utilizing ventures VS locales in the tableau.

(I've done around 40-50 server usage + overhauls)

In case you're utilizing locales, you are successfully assembling a totally new Tableau Server occasion.

The organization goes up against a totally new importance when you begin dispersing things into locales.

Where you can do a comparative thing with activities, and keep your work situated in a 'sort alpha' work process.

An exceptionally standard would be PROD/DEV/SANDBOX.

Nudge report purchasers just, see get to, restricted measure of individuals can alter or distribute

Dev-where your dashboard generators live and test.

Sandbox-everybody needs a cool place to share tips and traps, cool plans, beginning formats, and varieties of complex figurings.

Locales produce a completely extraordinary work process from my point of view and most appropriate for big business introduces that take into account different administrators - who administrate their site without anyone else - and maybe a couple super administrators to help keep it clean, content-based organization from repo, and so forth.

Thank you

• 7. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?
                      Uyen Ha

Maybe it’s me, but I do not see a reply to the message….I am login ☹

• 8. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?
                        Tyler Garrett

To the right of forums, and the left of groups, click Ideas.

Under Actions, under view feed, click create idea.

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 7.59.17 AM.png

Best,

Tyler

Dev3lop

PS. something got deleted in this thread, it was interesting. lol.

• 9. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?
                          Tyler Garrett

What are you talking about mate? What customers have you done installs and upgrades at?

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 8.05.41 AM.png

Never heard of this before, please elaborate.

And to answer your previous post. Tableau Desktop does not require Tableau Server.

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 8.08.02 AM.png

In those 40-50 Tableau Server 'overhauls' - I'm curious how you were able to get all 40-50 of those accomplished in 8 days? You would need to understand this question really well to be able to get 40-50 knocked out. Sounds like you've been very busy.

Best,

Tyler

Dev3lop

• 10. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?
                            Tyler Garrett

My thoughts, you're suggesting something that is not allowed, or supported.

Please refer to your EULA. 3 installations of Tableau Server are permitted. 1 live, 2 intranet for testing.

Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 8.14.27 AM.png

Best,

Tyler

Dev3lop

• 11. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?
                              Uyen Ha

I don’t get that on my own, see below.

• 12. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?
                                Tyler Garrett

Interesting, I assume there is a 'point' threshold or maybe an account verification.

I would work with, he will be able to help you out best.
                                LÉNAÏC RIÉDINGER Employee

Have fun! And nice to meet you Uyen.

Best,

Tyler

Dev3lop

• 13. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?
                                  Jeff Strauss

+1000 on your suggestion to use projects instead of sites!!!! I've heard way too often the over-proliferation of sites.

• 14. Re: Why is there no tableau site description?
                                    Tyler Garrett

Yes sir indeed. I literally toured the USA for Tableau Software - and never once recommend sites - except to one LARGE install, and their first phase was 10k users... And they were a 9billion rev company. So -> it made a lot of sense to delegate to multiple site admins per site. And outside of that, projects and only projects - or get ready for a lot more work. Sure, the updates support better administration between sites, but I still suggest project first and foremost.

Thanks for the +1000 points -> I'm going to copy paste it, and send you +6000 back.

Best,

Tyler

1 2 Previous Next