3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2017 8:22 AM by chris monger

Changes to workbooks/data sources in Tableau Desktop not showing in Tableau Online

Peter Fairbank

I have published two workbooks along with their accompanying data sources to Tableau Online so I can share these with colleagues from my organisation. However I don't know how updates I make to these workbooks in Desktop are then reflected on the published online versions.

To explain the process I follow: I maintain my underlying local data source (Excel) on a monthly basis. Once this is updated, I open the related workbooks (.twb file) in Desktop to ensure the graphs reflect the updated data. This all works fine, however the changes are not reflected on my Tableau Online account in the published versions. I was hoping they would update automatically but this hasn't happened and I'm not sure how to do this.

I'm a fairly new Tableau user, and have searched the online e-learning, videos and the forums but have still not been able to find a solution. I could well have missed something, but if anyone can provide help and direction I will be very happy! I read about Tableau Bridge, but then realized this only works on 64-bit Desktop.

I use Tableau Desktop Professional 10.3.0 32-bit. Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Changes to workbooks/data sources in Tableau Desktop not showing in Tableau Online
          chris monger

Hi Peter,

The changes on Desktop need to be published to the server to bring the server up to date. This can either be by updating data source or the whole workbook.

Are you making changes to the workbook at all, or just the data?

If you are making changes to the workbook you will need to re-publish the workbook, which will replace the view on the server, including any links/subscriptions that people have set up.

If it is just the data that you are updating then you can publish the data source separate to the workbook, so when you get a new sheet you can open this in tableau and overwrite the sheet, which will then be picked up on the server version.

Another option would be to keep the workbook in Google Sheets, which Tableau can connect directly though, which would mean you would just need to update the sheet for the changes to pick up.

• 2. Re: Changes to workbooks/data sources in Tableau Desktop not showing in Tableau Online
            Peter Fairbank

Thanks for your quick reply Chris.

I suppose it is the data source that I am updating, as extra month's data gets included on the monthly basis. The workbook format itself should not need to change (however I've had some small edits to make to an axis once the data has changed). But it changes in the sense that the graphs change based on the updated data source.

I've tried to summarise my understanding so far - have I understood this correctly?

• On first publishing my workbook to Tableau Online, when choosing the 'Data Sources' option, I should select 'Published separately'
            • Then, where I have changes just to the workbook format (but not the data), I will re-publish the workbook.
            • Each month when the data is updated, I re-publish the data source. Will this then update the workbooks on Tableau Online?
            • 3. Re: Changes to workbooks/data sources in Tableau Desktop not showing in Tableau Online
              chris monger

Hi Peter,

That's correct. When you publish a data source you get the option to change the connection to that workbook to the online datasource. Once this is done the workbook on desktop will also connect to Tableau server.

After this is done you can replace the data source, as long as the workbook is the same layout, and the online workbook will pick up these changes.

If possible I'd recommend trying with a test workbook if you can.