6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2017 2:18 PM by Tyler Garrett

Pie Chart on a Map

Christine Syvertson

Hello All,

I'm trying to place pie charts on a map to show the breakdown of a buildings sqft assigned to a use. What's weird, is that it seems to be placing the pie chart on top of each other, even though it should be rolling up under the same building name and number that I'm using as the details.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

d.png

• 1. Re: Pie Chart on a Map
          Joe Oppelt

Hey!  That's a map of Piscataway!  I recognize it!

As for your question, uploading a sample workbook would really help here.  The granularization of the pie charts is probably a function of the dimensions you have on the sheet.  It might take table calcs or LODs to roll them up properly.  And (at least as far as I am concerned) I would have to play with a working example to figure that out.

• 2. Re: Pie Chart on a Map
            John Sobczak

Yes I agree with needing the workbook to try out a few things.  Having said that I'm wondering if something as simple as moving the green pill from the size mark to the pie angle would solve the issue.

• 3. Re: Pie Chart on a Map
              Tyler Garrett

No workbook necessary - instead of giving us the workbook, give us a subset of the data, a screen shot of a subset of data is all we need. Likely this is a primary key or dimension being subtly off, generating a duplicate of your data. Lat long can be fun to play with, good job so far!

MY MONEY is on one of those extra dimensions has the building or building number spelled wrong, or with extra letters, spaces, words, etc.

Here's what you're aiming for:

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.08.34 PM.png

Filter down to a small segment of data that you know and understand.

In your screenshot there are several dimensions that are currently impacting your granularity.

The 2 shapes in one is two events, that do not share a common characteristic, from a level of detail perspective.

*The not so nerdy explanation*

I would focus on how you're generating your lat/long VS what your most granular detail is.

1. Filter down to a small segment.

2. Highlight everything - open the data view by hovering over a mark.

3. Look at the row level values and see where the duplicate is coming from.

Two circles stacked means two events in the same spot. It's not generating a PIE because the two values do not equal - likely because it's a duplicate value and there is a dimension causing this problem, or maybe it's your LAT/LONG having a subtle difference.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.09.54 PM.png

Start here - this is 3 dimensions, which generates 3 slices of the data.

Also if your lat long is subtly off, even .00001 off, it can stack on itself and then not generate your pie chart. Often times corporations see this due to data integrity concerns. Meaning, someone typed something wrong, or something along these lines

Best,

Tyler

Dev3lop

PS Don't worry about sending workbooks, just send over a screenshot of the data, explained here.
              Example: highlight a few marks, and then click the far left top button. Looks like stacked lines broken by columns

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 12.16.14 PM.png

• 4. Re: Pie Chart on a Map
                Christine Syvertson

Thanks for all this help! Truly appreciate it.. and Piscataway was guessed correctly .

It does seem to be a latitude/longitude issue.. When I switch the calculation to median over average, it is turning out okay.

The weird part is that the longitude and latitude are from the building level - so the #'s are identical (unless tableau does weird things when calculating the average?) Any knowledge on how that is done? Or maybe how to format the lat/long before bringing the data in?

d (2).png

Christine

• 5. Re: Pie Chart on a Map
                  Tyler Garrett

**Update: there are a LOT of options, here are two cool options that are user friendly, and you could be 'aggregating' up to a rounded lat/long.

For example; Latitude has many decimals, what if you could round up, X.XXXXXX a few at a time will offer a new 'higher level view' of your current data.

Which offers a 'drill down' from a visual perspective.

Then you can drill to the 'areas' causing the most 'pain' or 'success' depending on your data and analysis needs.

http://powertoolsfortableau.com/tools/drawing-tool I mapped out an non-profit HOA division once, using this tool.Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 1.03.39 PM.png

It can be very powerful if the data coming in is CLEAN.

Here's the brainstorm session in powerpoint to help me understand how to get there:

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 1.02.32 PM.png

And here's the scary granular view.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 1.02.23 PM.png

There's a lot that can be done with mapping, I would recommend 'drawing it out' and then go from there.

GIF4.gif

Best,

Tyler

Dev3lop

• 6. Re: Pie Chart on a Map
                    Tyler Garrett

This topic lit a fire under me, so I blogged about the tool to build this here: Mapping in Tableau with Powertools. | LinkedIn

Best,

Tyler

Dev3lop