2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2019 3:03 AM by Lee Rivera

Tableau and OneDrive Excel spreadsheet, automatic visualization update is possible?

Adam Lovasz

Hi all,

Our organization just started to use Tableau Online. I'm wondering is it possible to setup a OneDrive Excel Spreadsheet as DataSource then create a full report out of it and everytime we make changes in the Excel spreadsheet it automatically refreshes all our visualizations at Tableau Online?

I already tried to create a live connection to our Excel file on OneDrive but when i make changes in it, the visualizations does not changes at all even if I hitting the refresh button.

We have a whole lot of data sources online managed by multiple people and have to create many reports on a daily basis. Automatic refreshes a must for us. Could anybody tells me how to achieve this in Tableau Online?

Thanks,

Adam

• 1. Re: Tableau and OneDrive Excel spreadsheet, automatic visualization update is possible?

Hi Adam,

Both the workbooks AND the data source(s) need to be published online.

To publish a data source online, open the workbook and go to: Data ==> [your data source] ==> Publish to Server...

(You can also right-click on the data source and choose Publish to Server...)

Once the data source has been published online, you'll want to connect to it:

Ctrl+D ==> Tableau Server ==> [your data source]

After you've connected to the published data source, right-click on the data source you have been using (the unpublished one) and click Replace Data Source. Choose the published data source and verify all of your sheets and dashboards still work.

You can then close the unpublished data source by right-clicking on it and choosing Close. Save the workbook and republish it online.  Your command line refreshes will now refresh the published workbook (assuming the data source name is still the same).

Source, Tim Sanchez

----------

Lénaïc RIÉDINGER, Global Community Engineer Tableau

Tableau Community Forums | Knowledge Base

If you see a Helpful or Correct response, please mark it thanks to the buttons below the targeted post!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau and OneDrive Excel spreadsheet, automatic visualization update is possible?
            Lee Rivera

Does the data source need to be 'LIVE' or will it work on extract? also what if it's a multiple connection? One is a sharepoint list and then my other source is Tableau Server?