2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 2:56 PM by Kurt Slater

Timeline with cumulative data & date filtering

Kurt Slater

I've uncovered a number of posts that are related to what I'm trying to do, but I can't seem to find a solution that works. I'm guessing someone can point me in the right direction. I've attached a workbook with an example.

The goal

My data is a list of events by date and type.  I want to create a viz that shows the daily count as well as a cumulative count from the start. As with many other posts, the challenge is that when a date filter is added the cumulative counts don't include data before the filter.  In my file, "Dashboard1" is the general layout and visual look I'm going for.  Specifically, I want the stair step effect in the cumulative timeline. As noted above, the date filter messes up the cumulative counts which I fully expect and understand.

What I've tried

I've read a number of posts which get me close, including this one: Filtering the View Without Filtering Underlying Data | Tableau Software

Using this approach, the "Dashboard2" gives the result below. There are two key issues:

1. The data is correct, but it looses the stair step effect in the trend lines.  I presume this is because its only plotting the dates that exist in the data and not filling in the missing dates as the solution above does. This is by far the biggest issue I'm trying to solve.

2. I can' figure out how to get one filter to apply to both sheets in the dashboard.

Anyone have any ideas, particularly to keep the stair step effect in the cumulative timeline?  I'm thinking some LOD based solution would work, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

-Kurt