4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2017 5:29 AM by Michael Hesser

Shapes in Visuals

siva Nageswara Rao

I have a visual that is designed as a symbol as attached. can any one please let me know how to achieve this?

• 1. Re: Shapes in Visuals
          Michael Hesser

Hi Siva:

Do you just need the X/Y coordinates and color code to recreate this symbol on a scatter plot?

--Michael

• 2. Re: Shapes in Visuals
            Michael Hesser

Hi Siva;

I've attached a sample of an X/Y scatter plot. This was simply made by digitizing the image you presented and assigning the correct color codes.

This isn't a dynamic solution, however: you can only use it to reproduce one symbol, rather than a string. As a result, it's not that much more effective than a picture.

Please let me know if you have questions-- Michael

Results of the scatter plot:

• 3. Re: Shapes in Visuals
              siva Nageswara Rao

I didn't get clear idea yet. If you don't mind can you please share a video, How to achieve this?@Michael Hesser

• 4. Re: Shapes in Visuals
                Michael Hesser

Hi Siva--

Here's how I did it, but I'll warn you: this may not be the most efficient way.

Step 1: I started with the picture you provided of the symbol, which I dropped onto a grid in Excel. I made sure that the grid was square.

Step 2: For each populated cell I included an alpha value. I used a different value per color. It looked a little like this (though it's difficult to make out the alpha values):

Step 3: I removed the symbol template and dropped the 20x20 grid of alpha characters onto a sheet with multiple calculations: the calculations simply return the COLUMN, ROW, and COLOR for each populated cell.

That gives us something like this:

Step 4: I manually pasted each columnar-trio onto another sheet (yes-- I said manually. I'm a glutton for punishment). You don't have to do this manually: you could easily write an equation to do it and save a lot of time (which I recommend if you're doing more symbols). The pasting gives us our "meat" which looks something like this:

Step 5: THIS is the list I imported into Tableau...

Finishing touches:

• I converted COL and ROW into dimensions
                • I created a scatter plot with squares and adjusted the size so it looks nice
                • I chose Edit Color then double-clicked each alpha character, chose Pick Screen Color, and selected from the image you provided to get the color just right.

I've included an Excel attachment which may help! Good luck & let me know if you have more questions.

--Michael