3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2017 9:11 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Conditional Formatting

Eric Bedell

In the workbook below, I am trying to have conditional formatting by color for the 3 different metrics. I would like to color each metric for each day individually to show negative or positive, instead of using color based on one metric. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Conditional Formatting
          Ben Neville

Best option is to use the same technique used here. If that doesn't make sense, look around for other articles using MIN(1) to accomplish the same thing - there are a number out there.

1. Put MIN(1) onto Rows
          2. Put your actual measure onto text
          3. Convert to a bar chart
          4. Fix axis from 0 to 1
          5. Click size and move the slider all the way to the right
          6. Drag the relevant field onto color
          • 2. Re: Conditional Formatting
            Alan Perez

I send you an image, to see if it's what you're looking for

Regards

• 3. Re: Conditional Formatting
              Jonathan Drummey

I helped pioneer the technique that Ben & Allen linked to (see Older But Still Useful – Conditional Formatting | Drawing with Numbers ) and I avoid it as much as possible because it adds complexity to building the view, makes maintaining the view more difficult, impacts performance, and has some unavoidable display issues such as extra white space.

If all you want is to color the metrics by positive/negative there's an easier way than the suggestions here, just put Measure Values on color and edit the color range to have 2 steps:

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 12.00.28 PM.png

We can also get a highlight table using this technique:

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 12.04.20 PM.png

And finally if you want a different color ramp for each measure and you're on Tableau v10.2 or higher you can right-click on the Measure Values and choose "Use separate legends" to turn on the Legends per Measure feature, here I'm using it in a highlight table:

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 12.08.27 PM.png

v10.2 workbook is attached, hope this helps!

Jonathan

1 of 1 people found this helpful