10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2017 8:56 AM by Jason Rogers

Low Quality Shapes

Jason Rogers

I am trying to provide a chart showing the sold price of condos in a particular building. The shape of the marker shows 1 or 2 bedrooms as 1 or 2 in a circle. The color of the marker shows whether it is sold/expired/withdrawn.

I've looked over the forums and found that apparently Tableau is terrible at this but the shapes I'm using aren't large at all. When I try to export them in any capacity whether PDF or Enhanced Metafile they look beyond terrible. It's not just low quality it's laughable quality.

I read the XML hack where you edit the XML file. I tried that and Tableau doesn't seem to even notice. Right now it looks like these shapes are limited to about 20x20 pixels.

How can I do what I want to do with this?

• 1. Re: Low Quality Shapes
          Shawn Wallwork

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I opened your workbook. Increased the Size of your marks so they are more visible (FYI: there is NOT a 20x20 pixel limit) and then exported an image of the worksheet. Here's a screen capture of that export:

Looks fine to me. Certainly not 'laughable'. Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing?

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Low Quality Shapes
            Shawn Wallwork

Exported PDF attached.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Low Quality Shapes
              Jason Rogers

Thanks for the kind and thoughtful responses. It's nice after struggling with a problem basically all afternoon that I am met with so much generosity and professionalism.

My export on PDF/PNG/Etc. does not look anything like yours Shawn. Attaching the EMF file but also screenshotting that file opened in Illustrator. The PDF is also attached.

• 4. Re: Low Quality Shapes
                Jason Rogers

Also, zoom in on your PDF and you'll see what you sent me isn't acceptable at all for anything beyond a proof. The markers in the chart are pixelated. Compare them to the marker on the legend.

• 5. Re: Low Quality Shapes
                  Shawn Wallwork

Jason you are right that the shapes do get pixelate when exported. The reason for this is that Tableau tries to optimize the performance of their software every chance they get. Maintaining high resolution shapes would needlessly slow down the rendering of our charts.

Please keep in mind that Tableau is a data visualization tool -- not a drawing tool, or a chart-making tool for Power Point.

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Low Quality Shapes
                    Tom W

Jason,

Can you attach one of the PNG's of the shapes you're using?

Similar to Shawn, I'm not entirely surprised this is an issue. I think Tableau works to produce exports to 100% zoom and really not much more when it comes to images - the reason being, 100% zoom level is enough to view it as is on screen and print it.

With that being said; in your situation you're using icons to display a number. Why not just change your marks to a circle, then use ATTR(Total Bedrooms) as the label for the circle. Set the font to bold and you'll get the same result.

Because Tableau won't be exporting an icon / picture here but rather a native font, it will render much better when zoomed. I.e.

• 7. Re: Low Quality Shapes
                      Jason Rogers

I would attach the PNG but I'm running out the door but you can trust me

that they're high quality PNGs I made in Illustrator and I made quite a few

sizes from 1000x1000 on down to smaller to see if that would work.

I thought of the number/circle thing late yesterday afternoon. But couldn't

figure out how to move it inside the circle in the time I had for fooling

around with it.

While I know this is more for screen use only and I'd like to do a lot more

with it for clients to use online I still need to be able to produce print

quality graphics to hand out to prospects. I've tried online tools before

at Open Houses, etc. and it's almost universally a disaster. The screen

just spooks people in those settings.

*JASON *ROGERS, MPA

real estate advisor

*cell *720-624-6203 | *email *jason@realestateadvisordenver.com

*Your Castle Real Estate | *Broker Associate

*Intelligent Investments, Inc. *| Mortgage Broker

NMLS#1473846 | CO MLO License #100502413

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Tom W <tableaucommunity@tableau.com>

• 8. Re: Low Quality Shapes
                        Tom W

If you use a circle mark type, you just need to drop your total bedroom attribute on the label shelf, then adjust the font to a bolder font and change the alignment to center / middle.

You should still be able to print these shapes without distortion as it looks OK at 100%, however I don't own a printer so I can't really test that.

If you're interested in taking it further, I'd suggest you create a case with Tableau Support. Either they are limiting the quality of the output or the driver they use for PDF is.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Low Quality Shapes
                          Jason Rogers

Thanks for the help Tom! Sorry for spamming my contact information. Forgot my e-mail signature would show up until after I'd replied.