1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 31, 2017 4:38 AM by lenaic.ridinger

Using WDC for live data & row-level security

Kurt Slater

I've worked with the WDC solution for Neo4J a little bit and hoping someone can clarify a few basic questions for me.

1. Can the WDC be used for live data, or is it an extract-only solution?  By "live", I mean querying the source data directly at render time, like a live SQL connection. This link seems to suggest not. Tableau Online: Keep Data Fresh

2. If #1 is possible, then can the WDC also pass along the current Tableau user credentials so that the response is specific to that user? The intent is to enforce row-level security of the data by limiting the data returned to Tableau from the WDC.

Fundamentally, what I'm trying to solve for is connectivity to a web-application that has a custom business-layer API on top of the source data.  We need to go through that API to query the application data, and want to have effectively a live connection that is user-specific. I'm familiar with Tableau's solution for row-leve security using a filter based on the username, but that isn't likely to be workable due to security concerns. This rules out any extract-based solution.    Is there a workable solution for this sort of scenario?

Thanks!

-Kurt

• 1. Re: Using WDC for live data & row-level security

Hi Kurt Slater,

+ Neo4j is not a supported data source currently and that Tableau Online only supports live connections to web-hosted MySQL, Postgres and MSSQL Server databases
          + An alternate solution could be to use the Sync Client to refresh the data up to every 15 minutes, please refer to the following Product Help link for information regarding the Sync Client:

Scheduling Refreshes for On-Premises Data
          http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/online/en-us/to_sync_local_data.htm

Additionally, the live connection is not live in terms of live streaming from the database, but live querying. This means when a user interaction with a view, for example refreshing the view, is made, Tableau will open a connection to the database, query the database and then close the connection. The following Community post does a great job of explaining live connections: http://community.tableau.com/thread/130416

Furthermore, it may be possible to use a live connection by whitelisting the Tableau Online IP range (66.35.252.0/24), however if it is not a supported web hosting provider, it will be outside the scope of support to troubleshoot the connection.

----------

Lénaïc RIÉDINGER, Global Community Engineer Tableau

Tableau Community Forums | Knowledge Base

If you see a Helpful or Correct response, please mark it thanks to the buttons below the targeted post!

1 of 1 people found this helpful