3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2017 1:54 PM by Toby Erkson

Copying users and ALL security to new server

patricia.milligan.0

Hi All, When we went live with Tableau Server all users' AD groups were set up on a Test Server then all group memberships and security was applied.  Per our implementation consultant's recommendation, we backed up the Test server and restored it to Production.  Voila, all the users were completely set up in Prod.

Now we have an additional (very large) wave of new users that need to be added and have security set up.  Is there a way to set up the users in Test and just promote the additional users with all memberships, roles, security to Prod? I haven't been able to find a way to do it without doing the backup and restore of the entire environment.

I have seen posts about creating a CSV file and importing it to Prod, but I want all of the users' security too.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Copying users and ALL security to new server
          Toby Erkson

What exactly do you mean by "security"?

• 2. Re: Copying users and ALL security to new server
            patricia.milligan.0

I apologize for lack of clarity.  I mean group memberships, roles and permissions.  To summarize, the original users were set up in the Test environment but when the backup was restored to Prod everything was already set up and did not have to be again.  Now there are additional users, and they need to be in both environments - is it necessary to set them up on both servers?

• 3. Re: Copying users and ALL security to new server
              Toby Erkson

You will need to create a script and use tabcmd.

To add users to the TS (Tableau Server) of your choice along with their Site role

With tabcmd you will log on to the TS as a Server Administrator.  You will use the createsiteusers command with the --role parameter.

This is nice because the only thing you need to change is the TS name you're going to apply the changes to   The filename.csv remains the same.

What would be better is if Users were in Active Directory groups then it's just a simple syncgroup command

To add users to an existing Group

With tabcmd you will log on to the TS as a Server Administrator.  You will use the addusers command to add Users (imported from above) to existing Groups.

You can copy your filename.csv from above and modify the copy to just have your list of users.  Again, this is nice because the only thing you need to change is the TS name you're going to apply the changes to.

About Project/Workbook/View permissions

As you set up and maintain PWVs (Projects/Workbooks/Views) on one TS you should be doing the same thing on the other.  This keeps them in-sync and reduces your workload...and mistakes!

The above will help reduce the amount of manual and repetitive work for you plus you can always use it again for the next wave of users by simply changing the .csv file(s)

1 of 1 people found this helpful