3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2017 2:27 PM by Peter Fakan

action filter is not working

kate soh

I have few actions filter in my dashboard. Action "A" and Action "B" in same worksheet/same data source, both the action filters will be applied to  in another worksheet/data source (Hadoop) called "C". Eg:

A
      B
      Test 112 elements
      Test 260 elements

if I click action filter "A" for test 1, then the SQL command sent to Hadoop is correct,or without the "limit" clause in the SQL command. I can get the data in few mins.

However, I  when clicked action filter for test "2", the query ran forever. And I found a "limit" statement in SQL command, eg:

SQL command with

LIMIT 54

I'm wondering is there any limitation set in Tableau to limit the number of elements returned from action filter? or how to exclude the "limit" statement from the SQL command? because I would like to query all elements.

Any helps/advice for this issue would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: action filter is not working
          Peter Fakan

Hi Kate,

Your query times have the hallmarks of a Cartesian join. I'm not aware of any limits on numbers returned from action filters, and I've seen Tableau process some very inefficient queries.

There is also a timeout point on tableau server, it sits roughly at about 2 1/2 minutes from the top of my head.

HTH

Peter

• 2. Re: action filter is not working
            kate soh

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your inputs.

Could you elaborate why there is a Cartesian join in query time? because I didn't perform any Cartesian join in my action filter. Is there any timeout in Tableau desktop? because I'm using the Tableau desktop for data analysis.

• 3. Re: action filter is not working
              Peter Fakan

Hi Kate,

I mentioned that because your noted your queries are taking several minutes to run. Unless your data is in the range of several million rows, where I'm picking up that its only 60, your queries should be blazingly fast.

In the case of a Cartesian join, Tableau will be background processing up to 60x60^n rows, which can escalate quickly.

HTH

Peter