5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2018 12:22 PM by Luke Sirakos

Randomly have issues putting items in a layout container

Luke Sirakos

I don't know how to duplicate this so no workbook attached nor can I figure out a root cause but it has been happening to me throughout multiple versions of Tableau so it is not 10.4 specific.  There are times I will be building a dashboard and I will try to put an object in a container but Tableau just won't me do it. I typically notice it with filters but it happens with sheets sometimes as well.  I will have the object selected, it is not floating, and I will try to place it in a container but it is like wherever I move it the container just dodges it.  Sometimes I have gotten so frustrated I have just rebuilt the dashboard and it works fine.

Has anyone else noticed this issue or know of a fix for it?

• 1. Re: Randomly have issues putting items in a layout container
          Shawn Wallwork

Yes Luke we have all experienced this phenomenon, unfortunately. I've noticed that it can be more difficult when dragging a tiled object (not floating) to another container. Instead, try floating the object first, then drag it into place while holding down the shift key. Make sure you wait for the grey box to appear before letting up on the mouse button. Hope this helps.

Are you using Window or Mac? I've heard that Mac can be a little more fidgety. Don't give up you'll get the hang of it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Randomly have issues putting items in a layout container
            Luke Sirakos

I am on Windows, this has been something that has bugged me for years and I haven't found much of a topic on it. What ended up working on this latest issue was I moved the container I wanted to use to a totally different place on the dashboard and filled it up and then moved it in place.  Interesting enough, once I moved it in place I could not rearrange any of the objects without them falling out of the container but when it was in the original place I could rearrange them.

It would be really nice if on the Layout tab under "Item hierarchy" if we could just drag items around there into the various containers/positions.

• 3. Re: Randomly have issues putting items in a layout container
              Shawn Wallwork

Yeah that would be a nice solution. There's an idea out there for this that you could vote for. If you make a video of you moving things around and getting stuck I'll take a look and see if I can suggest way to make it easier. But not sure there really are any, other than practice and  patience.

• 4. Re: Randomly have issues putting items in a layout container
                Emanual Henry

I'm not sure if you're describing the same issue I have, but here are some things I found help when dealing with containers:

• If your container height is too small, it is impossible to drag anything into it.  Temporarily increase the size of the container.
                • If you want to place a container inside another container, drag a text box into the outer container.  Type the text "placeholder" or something.  Then drag your inner container.  This text box keeps the separation between the two containers and now you can drag more containers within it.  Delete the text box when you're done.
                • 5. Re: Randomly have issues putting items in a layout container
                  Luke Sirakos

Had this issue pop up again and I resized the container and it worked like a charm, thanks for the suggestion