7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2017 1:17 PM by Shawn Wallwork

Filter Problem

Carlton Lee

I have 2 filters - School and Year - that I have set to apply to all data. For some reason, they do not apply to 4 dashboards - the first 3 in 'Student Survey' story and the 4th in 'Adult Survey' story. I cannot figure out why! Very frustrating!

Here's the link:

https://public.tableau.com/views/ASSETsQualityProcessDashboard/Home?:embed=y&:display_count=yes

• 1. Re: Filter Problem
          Shawn Wallwork

Hi Carlton, your workbook has one Dashboard, and two Stories, with multiple Story Points. The two filters you mentioned are set to All worksheet Apply to all using related data sources. Two questions:

What is and isn't working?

What are your filtering expectations?

For clarity please use the terminology in bold. Thanks,

• 2. Re: Filter Problem
            Carlton Lee

My expectation is that the two filters will apply to the freestanding dashboard and all of the story points in the two stories.

It is not being applied to the first 3 story points of the 'Student Survey' and the 4th story point of the 'Adult Survey', and I can't figure out why...

• 3. Re: Filter Problem
              Deepak Rai

Correct me Shawn Wallwork but I think, Filters don't apply across dashboards in a story.

• 4. Re: Filter Problem
                Carlton Lee

They do. I've done it before. And it is applying to some of the dashboards that make up the story points, but not all of them, which is what I can't understand...

• 5. Re: Filter Problem
                  Shawn Wallwork

[Disclaimer: I rarely use Stories. So I'm not an expert on this.]

As best I can figure, you accidentally clicked the Update icon instead of the Revert icon on the four sheets that are not following the filters.

To fix this:

1. Set the Home dashboard School filter to None

2. Go to the misbehaving Story Points and set those School filter to None

3. Check to see that all the Story Points in both Stories are showing the None

4. Go to the Home dashboard and set the School filter to All

5. Confirm that all Story Points in both Stories are showing All

It appears to me that by Updating a Story Point you are overriding the Global filter, telling Tableau to lock this Story Point and not let the Global filter affect it. By doing the steps above, you put them back into sync.

Let me know if that fixes your issue.

• 6. Re: Filter Problem
                    Carlton Lee

Thanks Shawn, but does not fix the issue.

What's weird is that if I go the sheets themselves, the filter is applied, but not when they are accessed through the story...

The only thing I can think of is to rebuild those story points completely...

• 7. Re: Filter Problem
                      Shawn Wallwork

Sorry that didn't help. I'd send this to support, and see what they have to say.