4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2018 6:05 AM by Marshall Ma

Add Mongodb Data Source to Tableau Server on-premise

Atef Alqashqish

Hello,

We have started evaluating Tableau Server on-premise. Unfortunately, I am unable to add Data Sources at all (no actions are visible, just view) even thought I am sure I have login by administrator.

How can i connect Tableau Server to MondoDB?

Sincerely,

Atef

• 1. Re: Add Mongodb Data Source to Tableau Server on-premise
          Michael Gillespie

Atef, you haven't quite got the workflow for Server and data sources figured out yet.

Data sources can only be created in Tableau Desktop.  You then publish those data sources to Tableau Server for use and management.

So, create a workbook and connect to MongoDB using the MongoDB BI connector.  Set up your joins and any calculated fields, hierarchies and so on that you want, and save the workbook with NO vizzes, just the data source.

Then, right-click on the data source name in the Data tab of the workbook and select "Publish to server..." from the pop-up menu.  Log into the Server, pick your project and publish the data source.  Now you can manage the data source in Server (e.g., set a refresh schedule, assign permissions, etc.), and users can select that data source to use in the creation of their own workbooks.

Does that help?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Add Mongodb Data Source to Tableau Server on-premise
            Marshall Ma

Hi Michael,

Your answer makes sense. But how can I refresh my MongoDB data source without running BI connector? (I need to have it auto-refreshing every day while my computer is off)

Thanks,

Marshall

• 3. Re: Add Mongodb Data Source to Tableau Server on-premise
              Michael Gillespie

Marshall, the only officially supported way to connect to MongoDB is via the BI Connector.  I'm not saying there is NO other way to do it, but that's the only one that ships with Tableau Desktop.

As for refreshes, if you can get past the BI Connector issue, then you need some kind of server-based product to keep the data source up to date.  Since Tableau Bridge doesn't support MongoDB, that means you need Tableau Server (and not Tableau Online).  Then you can publish the data source as an extract and schedule the refresh.  OR you could leave it as a live connection.

There's no other way to do it unless you do it manually from Tableau Desktop every day.

• 4. Re: Add Mongodb Data Source to Tableau Server on-premise
                Marshall Ma

Thank you, Michael! Now it is crystal clear