5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2017 4:17 PM by Justin Larson

Newbie Questions: Looking up data in another table and consolidating similar tables.

Steve Rohde

SENARIO

I have two types of data sources as CSV text files:

Table A: Trip Records = List of all bike trips for one month between pairs of bike docking stations.  The docking stations are represented by a code (see Table B).

I have 26 of these monthly tables, all with the same structure, spanning from Jan 2014 through Sep 2017.

Some tables have nearly 750,000 trip records. I think I may have as many as 10,000,000 trip records in total.

Table B: Station Info = List of bike docking stations that identifies the station name and station location (lat/lon pair) associated with each docking station code.

OBJECTIVES

1. Bring station name and location info from Table B into Table A so that in my visualizations, I will be able to:

• identify bike docking stations by name, rather name by code.
      • place bike docking stations on a map.

2. Consolidate records from all 26 instances of Table A into one big table, Table A'.

QUESTION 1

What's the best way to to connect these two data sources to a Tableau workbook and join them so that I can display station name and location from Table B as additional (calculated?) fields in Table A?

See attached annotated image.

QUESTION 2

What the best way to consolidate records for all 24 instance of Table A?

Should the consolidation be done outside of Tableau? Or can one configure Tableau to do this?
      I think I have a total of nearly 10,000,000 records. Is this too much for Tableau to handle in one workbook?

Thanks so much in advance for helping with the basics of Tableau!