3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2017 5:59 AM by Jim Dehner

Parameter not updating on Story Boards

Michael Wedekindt

Hi community,

the Parameter is not updating in Story Boards when I change him. On Dashboards it works. Please answer why or tell me how I can solve it.

Just follow up the steps and you will see what I mean.

1. Open Buch1.twbx

2. Go to Dashboard 1 and change parameter "Profit Bin Size" to 100

3. Go to Dashboard 2. Parameter "Profit Bin Size" has been changed as well.

4. Go to Story 1 first Story Page (Blatt 1) and change parameter "Profit Bin Size" to 100

5. Go to the next Story Page (Blatt 2) and parameter "Profit Bin Size" has not been changed as well.

Now the question: Why? And on top the 1 Million Dollar question is: How can I solve this?

The goal is to use one parameter as filter for each Story board.

I used the Superstore example raw without any changes and it is always the same parameter.

Thanks and regards

Michael

p.s. Removed a typo.

• 1. Re: Parameter not updating on Story Boards
          Jim Dehner

Hi Michael

I looked over your worbook and can only say - in the story changes do not go back to update the d/b or worksheets -

That said the question is how do you deal with it - see the attached and below

I added a parameter to your worksheets to "Select View" - the parameter is tied to a calculated field

View Filter      CASE [select view] when 'Blatt 1' then 1 WHEN 'Blatt 2' then 2 end

and Then drag the view filter to the filter shelf on each sheet - set to 1 on Blatt 1 and to 2 on Blatt 2

Create a new Dashboard and place Blatt1 And Blatt 2 into the same container on the sheet

place each sheet on the canvas

drag a vertical container to the sheet

Drag each sheet to the container

AOn each sheet rihgt click the header and select Hide Title

now you have both sheets in the same container but they are filtered so that only 1 will show at a time based on the value of Select View paramter and they will adjust based on your Bin Size Parameter

This may not be exactly what you want but it will get the end result

- I avoid using Story and use d/b's and actions between d/b when creating a viz

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Parameter not updating on Story Boards
            Michael Wedekindt

Hi Jim,

please apologize the late response. Thank you very much for the quick answer!

So I read from this answer that it is from my point of view still a technical issue from Tableau that parameter still not updating/changing correctly on Story Boards.

Back to your solution. I think it is a good and smart way to deal with this.

Thank you and best regards

Michael

• 3. Re: Parameter not updating on Story Boards
              Jim Dehner

Glad to help out

Thanks

Jim