6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2017 4:45 AM by Tim Dines

Tableau Embedded in iFrame Not Working As Expected

Tim Dines

I have created the dashboards located at the included address and sent the embed code to our web developer.  The Default view is set to Web Embedded at 800 x 800.  I have also defined layouts for all of the other devices with the exception of Nokia Lumia.  When viewing the dashboards on the smaller devices, especially phones, they look terrible.  They look nothing like the layouts that I defined before publishing.  Can someone tell me how to make this look good/correct in all of these environments?  I have only designed for large scale presentations in the past so I am no expert at this.  The URL is http://www.in.gov/recovery/1054.htm .  Any thoughts and help are greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Tableau Embedded in iFrame Not Working As Expected
          Matt Lutton

Its hard to say, as when we open/view the workbook, we cannot really see much as the data is not extracted for us to see/it asks for login info for your database.  It may be private data, so that may be by design but its hard to see the settings you've tried/used as a result. 

Have you tried a small device setting as a fixed size, then see how it scales to the other devices? Typically, using a FIXED size is better than automatic, since you can take a size that is defined as "small" and scale it up, but it is harder to do the opposite (scale down when Tableau uses all the space -- for that reason, the Automatic setting is not as useful as some would like).

I work at Tableau and live in Indianapolis - feel free to reach out via email at mlutton@tableau.com and I'll see if I can find a way to help out another local user!

• 2. Re: Tableau Embedded in iFrame Not Working As Expected
            Tim Dines

I forgot to extract the data before creating the file.  I have since figured out how to take care of this problem in much the same way that you describe below.  It also helps to create dashboards with less functionality.  It almost feels like things did when I first developed graphics for web pages and had to produce them for a 72 dpi world rather than print.  I think in the end it is important to ask your end user how the dashboard will be used most frequently.  If this is for public, internet consumption then the small device is important, but if this will be used on the desktop or a projector then there is more room to play with.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.  Maybe I will see you at TC17.

Tim Dines

• 3. Re: Tableau Embedded in iFrame Not Working As Expected
              Carisa Chang

Looking at your page, you're showing sheets as tabs. You'll want to republish with "show sheets as tabs" unchecked, like it mentions in the instructions for setting up device specific views:

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.html#dashboards_dsd_create.html?Highlight=device

• 4. Re: Tableau Embedded in iFrame Not Working As Expected
                Tim Dines

Carisa,

I created some ugly buttons and fixed them in all of the layouts.  The funny thing is that the buttons only work when the tabs are visible.  So I am stuck on getting from page to page without the tabs.  This piece of the puzzle makes me feel like a total newbee again.

• 5. Re: Tableau Embedded in iFrame Not Working As Expected
                  Carisa Chang

Tim,

How are you specifying the destination for each button? You should be able to use the full url of the dashboard and have it go to that dash, even without the tabs.

You could also try adding &:tabs=no to the end of your embed url, which would not show the tabs, even though you publish with "show sheets as tabs" checked. Full disclosure: I haven't tested this with device specific settings, but I've seen it used when embedding in browsers, to hide the tabs in the browser but still have them available for action filters.

• 6. Re: Tableau Embedded in iFrame Not Working As Expected
                    Tim Dines

Sorry for the late response.  I have been out for a while.  I was able to complete this project without the use of buttons by changing the overall design of the dashboards and providing mobile users with one screen that scrolls a little.