1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 9, 2017 10:21 AM by patrick.byrne.0

Azure SQL - Unable to Connect - Desktop 10.2.2 / Server 10.2.2

Ankit Patel

Fellow users:

I'm trying to connect to Azure SQL from my Windows PC running Tableau Desktop 10.2.2 (10200.17.0505.1445) 32-bit

For connection I am using Microsoft SQL Server (pre-built connector in Desktop).

I would also be using this connection on Tableau Server eventually with either Live or Extract (schedule extract) - if there are additional steps required for Server component then please provide those to me as well.

Note: I tried connecting via SQL Server Management Studio and I am able to do so with ease. I have not installed any drivers for connection to work in SQL Server Mgt Studio - I would assume that there shouldn't be a driver required for Tableau Desktop either. Also, I have not added any entries in ODBC Data Sources - don't think it is required.

From Tableau Desktop I get the following error: (also image provided below)

• Unable to connect to the ODBC Data Source. Check that the necessary drivers are installed and that the connection properties are valid.
      • [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]Server name cannot be determined.  It must appear as the first segment of the server's dns name (servername.database.windows.net).  Some libraries do not send the server name, in which case the server name must be included as part of the user name (username@servername).  In addition, if both formats are used, the server names must match.
      • Unable to connect to the server "<my server>.database.windows.net". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Any help on this error would be much appreciated.